• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much electrical power?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kittyhawk

Registered
I want to upgrade my PC to one with an Intel Quad Q6600 soon. This is a serious upgrade because I'm currently using a P!!! 1GHz, and I'll be needing many other new components too.

The new PC will include a G33 motherboard, 2 sticks of PC800 DDRII RAM, a SATAII 7200RPM 250GB hard disk and a DVD writer. My sound card, LAN and video will be onboard.

I also intend to run SETI@Home on this PC 24/7 at 100% CPU usage.

What power supply should I get?

Hmmm.

Well. I recommend Enermax. Others will tell you to get Corsair and PC Power & Cooling. Those seem to me the most fav PSU's here.

Whats your budget? Whats the most you are willing to spend?

Let me make this perfectly clear.

Your budget is $700 only for PSU, or, for the whole system including a PSU?

$700 for ; PSU, CPU, RAM and Mobo, HDD, DVD-RW, Case? Do you need a VGA card as well?

Make a list of all the parts that you need total to complete you system.

Let me make this perfectly clear.

Your budget is $700 only for PSU, or, for the whole system including a PSU?

$700 for ; PSU, CPU, RAM and Mobo, HDD, DVD-RW, Case? Do you need a VGA card as well?

Make a list of all the parts that you need total to complete you system.

Maybe $700 is a bit too low. Make it $750. It'll cover everything except the monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers and casing (I'm going to reuse them). My sound, LAN and VGA will be on-board.

e6850 running 1.55vcore here at 4ghz with 8800gtx and IP35 board. 3 Sata drives, DVD-RW. 2x1g Ballistix PC8500. Maximum pull for the wall at dual burn at this speed is around 320 watts ( 320w * 80% efficiency = 256 actual watts consumed. During Gaming it averages 300 to 390 watts peak. So multiply that again by 0.8 to get actual.

I would think you'd want to add another 50 to maxium of 100 watts to everything on a Quad. A good, true rated 500watt psu with good efficiency should handle it (I feel).

I know its late and i had a few cold once, i cant even read the text unless im 3" away from the screen.

So. If you want Quad core to get most folding time, then you get Quad CPU. Then you dont need a VGA card, just a cheap mobo with onboard VGA. Having that said, and my mind being on Venus do to *cough too many cold once *cough*. Then you dont need a a fancy PSU.
I think something around 350-400W max will get a job done for system that only does Seti@Home. I recommend Enermax that you can get at newegg at a very good price.

Heres a PSU i recommend for the price you cant beat it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817194011
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817103455

All you need is a Mobo, CPU, some cheap *** ram, you dont need to waste money on fancy brand name ram, excuse my language and a DVD drive. And this will put you with in your budget.

Well here's something from the F@H team page
Intel

Currently SPM is giving the best ppd per folding instance and while it was intended for computers with 4 processing cores, it works quite well on dual core systems, especially the core2duo line. And with the recent addition of some newer WUs the 4mb cache versions have a great advantage over the 2mb ones.

Quad core Intel chips are putting up the most ppd. However, they're expensive and we'll wait until the Fall price drop to discuss these.

For best ppd/$ here is what I suggest:

Between Fridays and Thursdays Fry's has cpu/motherboard combos that can't be beat for the price. What they do is sell the cpu for normal price (and in some cases discounted) and throw in a free motherboard. And while the free motherboard is an ecs (it will be a p4m800pro-m or pt890-a) so it doesn't overclock very well but will still produce over 1000ppd, and a good bit more if it's a 4mb chip such as an e6600. And if you want, you can probably sell the board on ebay for around 30 or 40 dollars.

The link for weekly fry's deals is HERE.
While it states on the website that there is no official affiliation with Fry's, I have found it to be dead-accurate every time I have gone to the store after something I saw on the site.

But what if you're overseas or don't live near a fry's? These awesome deals are usually in-store only...

It's okay! With the recent price drops, you can get great cpu prices from e-tailers as well. Plus with the recent additioin of the e6320 and e6420 you can get the 4mb cache in a budget chip, although they're not THAT much cheaper than an e6600.

If you buy a cpu you'll probably need a motherboard right? You're still in luck because there have been budget motherboards gettiing to very high fsb, such as the Biostar Biostar TForceP965 which can give you over 500fsb for just over $100 or the Gigabyte DS3 which should be able to give you at least 450fsb or more and will be good for a quad core upgrade and with the recent 3.3 revision, 1333mhz fsb chips. Other recommended motherboards that won't break the bank are the DFI P965-S Dark and the Asus P5B or one of the many revisions. For any more info on specific motherboards, be sure and visit the Intel motherboards section of our forums.

There have been a huge price reductions on some very nice 2x1gb 800mhz ddr2 kits, and it should be very easy to find some cheap online or in-store. Awesome deals on ddr2 can also always be found in the Cyber Deals section as well.

This is definitely a work in progress. Post or PM any comments, suggestions, changes, additions, etc.

I think the requierements for folding and Seti are more or less the same (please correct me if I'm wrong though) So here's a good indication of what other parts you should get

Back