• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

option to trade 8800gts for 2900xt would you

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ahbroody

Asked this on the nvidia forum and got a resounding NO. Figured in fairness I would post it here.

Buddy of mine has a 2900xt 512 I have an 8800gts 640mb.
He wants to swap as his board supports sli. My board is asus p5b deluxe and supports crossfire. I am trying to decide if I should swap. I am not likely going to bother running crossfire.

Basically I want to know if there is a big difference between the 2 cards in performance. I have seen reports that show both beating each other. Both cards seem to have pluses in certain areas. I really only play CSS but will be playing Crysis. Can anyone think of any big reasons why not to trade.

I have a 700w PSU, airconditioning in room and water cooled system so not concearned with heat or power. Really kind of want to try the 2900xt. Just want to see if any huge reasons why not.

Am I right in assuming that AA will never work with the 2900xt

The 8800 GTS and 2900Xt are pretty close in performance. The 8800 will beat me in some benchmarks and I can win in a few. Others it's a toss up. The 8800 GTS probably has a slight performance edge overall. But, in actually gaming, I doubt you could tell much difference. I have the new Medal of Honor Airborne game and I'm playing it at max quality settings in CCC and all high game settings with resolution at 1920X1200 (24" widescreen). No problems at all with my 2900XT at default vid card speed.

In all honesty, I would do it. Those 2900XT's have been getting better with each new driver, and in most benchmarks they outperform the 8800GTS (untill you turn on AA). If you ALWAYS USE AA, that would cause some hesitation. But overall, I would go for it.

But in games, where it matters you'll see slight slight differences. No more than a few fps at most.

I also think the same that in future games and with better drivers 2900XT will be better.

And there in lies the rub: It will never be THAT much better in the games where it is... and it probably won't ever break even (with things like the oft-downplayed AA) in games where it isn't.

The trade just doesn't make sense. An 8800GTS for a GTX? Sure. Go for it.

An X1900XTX for a 2900XT?

Makes perfect sense.

But a GTS for an XT? Why bother?

Been reading reviews today about the cards cause I have to choose which to pick, both used exact same price 640 vs XT.

While the XT seems to pick up the speed and with games like MOHAAA BioShock it takes the lead but the xtra power it needs and the noise that it brings might not worth it.

Have to add this Nvidia texture bleeding might be worse than the XT's AA problem.

Back