• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q6600 and 3dMark06

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maverick0984

When I have my Q6600 G0 at 390x9 = 3.51ghz, 3Dmark06 runs fine.

When I bump it to 400x9 = 3.6ghz (which requires a Vcore bump of 1.375 to 1.4125 to get there and a host of other various increases), it runs Prime95 (Small FFT's) stable for 30 min until I force the stop.

When I go into 3dmark06 and run the benchmark it goes from around 85 fps (@ 3.51ghz) on game 1 to 25 fps (@ 3.6ghz) on game 1. I only let it run for a few seconds because it is a pretty drastic change.

Any ideas?

When I have my Q6600 G0 at 390x9 = 3.51ghz, 3Dmark06 runs fine.

When I bump it to 400x9 = 3.6ghz (which requires a Vcore bump of 1.375 to 1.4125 to get there and a host of other various increases), it runs Prime95 (Small FFT's) stable for 30 min until I force the stop.

When I go into 3dmark06 and run the benchmark it goes from around 85 fps (@ 3.51ghz) on game 1 to 25 fps (@ 3.6ghz) on game 1. I only let it run for a few seconds because it is a pretty drastic change.

Any ideas?

3.6 Ghz will need at least 1.51 vCore. Until you can run Prime95 for at least 12 hours (I have had SO MANY 3.6 Ghz OCs fail on me after 8 hours), don't ever think it's stable.

3.6 Ghz will need at least 1.51 vCore. Until you can run Prime95 for at least 12 hours (I have had SO MANY 3.6 Ghz OCs fail on me after 8 hours), don't ever think it's stable.

People are still able to run 3dmark06 even when it isn't Prime95 stable so that isn't really the issue I don't think.

There is absolutely no way it requires 1.51v. I've seen tons of people hit it with the low 1.4's.

People are still able to run 3dmark06 even when it isn't Prime95 stable so that isn't really the issue I don't think.

There is absolutely no way it requires 1.51v. I've seen tons of people hit it with the low 1.4's.

Weird.... I can run 3DMark06 up to 4GHz @ 1.6V while not Prime stable. Have you tried giving it a little more vcore? I need 1.43V (BIOS) and 1.4V (real) to be stable at 3.6GHz. Also have you run memtest and check for errors with your memory? Are you giving your memory enough voltage too? I would try setting the memory to stock and try it again just so you can rule it out first.

We've had this discussion many times.... stability means different things for different people depending on what they do with their PC's. Why not run it for 48 hours? or a week?? And stability tests are no guarantee of stability, you could run 12 hours Prime just to have it crash the next time you boot up.

Upping the vcore to 1.4375v still has the issues. I've passed memtest just fine as well, my memory is fine. :-/

I ran 24+ hours stable @3600/1.4625v. But it requires much higher vcore to get this chip stable @3800! Haven't quite found out why yet but I'm working on it.

Upping the vcore to 1.4375v still has the issues. I've passed memtest just fine as well, my memory is fine. :-/

What are your video card clocks, are you stock or overclocked?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just read your sig. Try lowering your memory on your card a bit. I can't run more than 1060 on my 8800GTX and I have an EK full coverage block on my card.

the OC runs fine at the lower clock though. I'm unsure why that would affect it :-/ I guess it doesn't hurt to try though.

Just make sure it is not overheating becasue if it does it will start dropping multi.

Tuning my graphics card back to stock settings still causes the issues. Noone has experienced anything like this?

Hit it? I can hit it with 1.41, do you consider hitting it just booting into windows? This is really interesting discussion, are you like planning to use word/excel only and use 10% of the processor? There are several games/application that'll chew up more than 50% of the CPU in seconds, 3dmark running means nothing stability wise.

The problem is, people will think their CPU is stable, they'll think since the games run, it's fine. It's so not. When your CPU is instable, imagine having 2 out of 10 instructions being faulty thus giving wrong results. In programs like orthos and prime95, the program will stop and warn you. Those programs check the results CPU produces against the expected result.... That is so not the case with games. Everytime you have an issue, there will be more and more overhead to you CPU. You will think the game is lagging, or it's some background process, but at the behind scenes, it's your CPU working it's a$$ off trying to deal with an exponentially increasing cache miss ratio.

I am sorry, I am not trying to **** anyone off, and I do understand people have different needs, but it's not like we are discussion 1.5 vs 1.52, running 3.6 Ghz on 1.43 is looking impossible to me.

I can't remember, but I'm sure you can find it if you search. Try a slightly higher FSB maybe, but I think you may be right about messing w/ the NB...maybe FSB voltage.

Hit it? I can hit it with 1.41, do you consider hitting it just booting into windows? This is really interesting discussion, are you like planning to use word/excel only and use 10% of the processor? There are several games/application that'll chew up more than 50% of the CPU in seconds, 3dmark running means nothing stability wise.

The problem is, people will think their CPU is stable, they'll think since the games run, it's fine. It's so not. When your CPU is instable, imagine having 2 out of 10 instructions being faulty thus giving wrong results. In programs like orthos and prime95, the program will stop and warn you. Those programs check the results CPU produces against the expected result.... That is so not the case with games. Everytime you have an issue, there will be more and more overhead to you CPU. You will think the game is lagging, or it's some background process, but at the behind scenes, it's your CPU working it's a$$ off trying to deal with an exponentially increasing cache miss ratio.

I am sorry, I am not trying to **** anyone off, and I do understand people have different needs, but it's not like we are discussion 1.5 vs 1.52, running 3.6 Ghz on 1.43 is looking impossible to me.

Every CPU is different and different CPUs require different amounts of Vcore to be stable. Mine requires 1.5125v, but my VID is also high. However, my CPU runs relatively cool despite the amount of voltage. Again every CPU is different.

I've upped the FSB as high as it will go, bumped the NB quite a bit, it's now at 2x.

ThePredator said:

There is no need to mock me and no reason to take it perfectly literal of what I said. Of course I don't think that. I was just reporting posted results that were prime stable in the low 1.4v's. This has happened more than a few times as well, and is not an isolated case with only high powered cooling systems either.

Check around the forums, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt since you are new. But I do not appreciate your tone.

If you've been reading the rest of the topic you'd realize we've already figured out what the issue was and am now trying to address that.

Also, 3dmark06 doesn't push the CPU anywhere near as hard as Prime95.

I just tried your setup. 1.43 vCore BIOS, the second I started Orthos, I got amazingly loud beeps and I have been OCing for about 2 weeks (maybe 50 times a day) and never got that beep before.

When you say voltage, are you talking about the actual voltage or the voltage in BIOS. Because even when I make my CPU volt 1.51 in BIOS, it never exceeds 1.41 (both uGuru and cpu-z) at full 100% load.

I just tried your setup. 1.43 vCore BIOS, the second I started Orthos, I got amazingly loud beeps and I have been OCing for about 2 weeks (maybe 50 times a day) and never got that beep before.

When you say voltage, are you talking about the actual voltage or the voltage in BIOS. Because even when I make my CPU volt 1.51 in BIOS, it never exceeds 1.41 (both uGuru and cpu-z) at full 100% load.

Well what motherboard are you using? The P5K Premium virtually eliminates all vdroop which you are getting quite a bit of.

When I set mine to 1.4375v, I get no less than 1.4374v under load.

That would explain why you need 1.51v, because you are getting pretty heavy vdroop. Since I am not getting that, I don't need to set it that high to get 1.41v. I can have it set at 1.41v in the BIOS and still get 1.41v under load.

Back