• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which HDD is better?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rattle

thse seagates are single platter now I am hearing also, is this true ?
Yep. I'd definately give the Seagates the nod of the two. I believe the firmware issue was related to the 320GB drives, but could be mistaken.

I've always been a WD guy, but the whole perpendicular recording thing sounds really cool. I don't know if it has any affect on raid though. If not, then there probably isn't much of a difference... its mostly preference.

The latest batch of WD drives have been most impressive to me, the AAKS models are sweet. I had a couple of 250 seagate perps when they first came out and I want really impressed.

I'm also thinking of grabbing a couple 80's and just raiding those.

My 320 MB Seagate perp is flakey at best. I can't install windows on it. Pretty good media drive but I wouldn't want my boot drive on em. They are fast with large files (media) and slower with small files (OS & games). I would pick the WD my self.

But 500 gigs is less money ($100)... and in a single drive... You can pay $0.40 a gig twice or just pay $0.25 a gig one time.

its either a raptor or these slower drives in raid 0

size isnt a consideration whatsoever its speed that I am after.

its either a raptor or these slower drives in raid 0

size isnt a consideration whatsoever its speed that I am after.

Heres an slightly older thread about the ST3250410AS (with some benchies @ about page 5) http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=512211&highlight=ST3250410AS

I just grabbed a single ST3250410AS to try one out , and yes they are single platter . So far Iam pretty happy with it and will most likely grab another to raid . I'll say this ...these suckers are damn quite and pretty quick even in single drive usage .

The bad filmware thingy was in refrence to the slightly older 7200.10's , 320 or 500 gig ; not the newer 250gig slim drives .

thats with a 40gb slice off each drive at 128k on the ICH8R

thanks guys for turning me onto these drives.

Heres an slightly older thread about the ST3250410AS (with some benchies @ about page 5) http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=512211&highlight=ST3250410AS

I just grabbed a single ST3250410AS to try one out , and yes they are single platter . So far Iam pretty happy with it and will most likely grab another to raid . I'll say this ...these suckers are damn quite and pretty quick even in single drive usage .

The bad filmware thingy was in refrence to the slightly older 7200.10's , 320 or 500 gig ; not the newer 250gig slim drives .

YA that seagate 250gb the OP linked to is a brand new revision that has a SINGLE 250gb platter! same platter used in the seagate 7200.11 drives... if you want some fast crazy performance without hurting the wallet, those would be the drives to buy!

i mean 2 of then with some matrix raid and the right size raid 0 partition yeilds 200MB/s!

I have 2 older revision seagate 7200.10 250gb perps and they do 160MB/s on my matrix raid setup... i would love the extra 40mb/s!

Back