• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Penguin Power!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aja

If linux had proper AMD drivers for gaming, would you, being an avid gamer and computer user, use windows or linux?

Also, would this incline you to convert from Intel to AMD if this applies to you?

I would make a poll, but I have no I dea how to do that

Link:
http://overclockers.com/tips01213

Actually, since I have an nvidia card I'm already a gamer in linux. There are many good linux open source games. Then all the id games. In addition to wine + windows games! (granted not all or even half windows games work in wine.)

If linix had a wider selection of games available to run on it, or through wine, along with better wireless card support I would definately switch for good. Unfortunately they don't so I just have a linix partition to mess around on rather than serious use :(

If linux had proper AMD drivers for gaming, would you, being an avid gamer and computer user, use windows or linux?

Also, would this incline you to convert from Intel to AMD if this applies to you?

I would make a poll, but I have no I dea how to do that

I think you have to be a "Senior Member" or better to make a poll.

I would love to learn linux and use it. I'd take the time to learn it if one could use it for everything.

I'm with the others in that I love Linux (lust started using it on my lappy), but am too much of a gamer to be ready to fully switch.

Once Linux gets DX (LOL) then I might consider it. ;)

Either that, or once more developers start coding for OpenGL (ID is the only one I can think of).

I would make the switch if there where more linux games! ID is good about it, but, everyone else? Not so much.
A push in drivers from a major company(ies) is a good thing though.:beer:

Unreal Engine games are in OpenGL, too (though Bioshock developers, for example, decided not to include OpenGL support for whatever reason).

The thing is, I don't know about you guys, but whenever I install Linux on my system I never stop modifying it, ie, tweaking init or kernel for it to boot faster or optimizing compiz etc. Now... What does that result in? Instead of a super-stable, high-end, system I end up getting kernel panics and dependancy problems which tend to be hard to fix.

I recently used an 850xt (with the PC in my signature) and I was able to get it running perfectly with hardware acceleration (compiz woked flawlessly). I did not install any games though (the only game I have that would work on Linux is UT2004).

I would in a heartbeat. I use Linux for pretty much everything except non-native games. However I've noticed that I don't game as much as I did just a few years ago, so with companies like id Software, Epic Games, and Bioware making their games run on Linux I may not even need Windows eventually, as I'll have enough to keep me sated.

I'm already an AMD fan and a Linux fan... and also a gamer. If I could have all three at the same time I would be a happy camper :) Steam on Linux would be nice... maybe there is already a way to get that to work?

I've heard of people using Cedega to play all the Steam games on Linux. The only downfall of Cedega is that you have to wait until a new game is supported. However, if you're apt to wait until the prices of games drop before you buy them (or play mainly older titles), then it's actually not a bad setup. There's a subscription fee but you can download the source and build it yourself, though for how actively everything is maintained the subscription is justified.

Wow, thanks for that link. I think I may be a full on convert now b/c every game I play (including the obscure Live For Speed) is supported by Cedega.

After reading on their forums some, it seems that Cedega has "issues," and not all of the games listed are actually working. I figure if I'm paying for it is I would be justifed to expect it to do what it claims. Looks like I'm going o be holding off a little longer.

Last edited:
You can always build it from source and test it out, though, to make sure that it works with what you play. :)

I would make the switch if there where more linux games! ID is good about it, but, everyone else? Not so much.
A push in drivers from a major company(ies) is a good thing though.:beer:

Blizzard has made Windows and Mac ports for (all?) their games for as long as I've known of them (Warcraft 1). OpenGL is needed for the Mac ports.

There has been a push from users from time to time for them to start porting at least some games to Linux seeing as they already have the opengl support and have multiple platforms to support in mind while coding. But I have not heard anything at all come from these requests. I think with Cedega supporting WOW pretty well it kind of made them lazy and just figure we can use that. Personaly I'm not pleased with performance I get, but it may be due to the current Geforce 8 Linux driver issues.

You can always build it from source and test it out, though, to make sure that it works with what you play. :)

Your better off using Wine until Cedega catches up. I switch back and forth between Wine and Cedega depending on the game I'm playing. Cedega has much better support for CD copyright protection. I have been left with many please insert CD messages when starting a game in Wine while the retail (not burned) game disk is in the drive. But NO-CD patches sometimes get around this.

Back