• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Signs of a failing PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

striker85

Recently my computer started deciding to turn itself off randomly. I figured it may have been my video card that I may or may not have fudged with some of my tinkering; so I took it out. I replaced the card with a test card that I have lying around and I know is fine. Again, my computer is turning itself off. I go the next step and try another motherboard that I got back from an old RMA and I am positive it is fine. Again, my computer turns itself off. I know it can't be the processor because I just got a brand spanking new Opteron 170 from Newegg. So my last guess is the PSU. In the bios the voltages all look nominal: the 12v is at 12.14v, the 3v is at 3.15v, the 5v is at 5.13....sooooooooo, I have yet to read the voltages with a multimeter or while in Windows, but I'm out of ideas.....Could it possibly be my PSU?

it may be worth a shot to give memtest86+ a try.if you can remove the memory from the mix id say it would most likely be your psu taking its last gasps.any chance you can try a known working psu in your rig?

Recently my computer started deciding to turn itself off randomly. I figured it may have been my video card that I may or may not have fudged with some of my tinkering; so I took it out. I replaced the card with a test card that I have lying around and I know is fine. Again, my computer is turning itself off. I go the next step and try another motherboard that I got back from an old RMA and I am positive it is fine. Again, my computer turns itself off. I know it can't be the processor because I just got a brand spanking new Opteron 170 from Newegg. So my last guess is the PSU. In the bios the voltages all look nominal: the 12v is at 12.14v, the 3v is at 3.15v, the 5v is at 5.13....sooooooooo, I have yet to read the voltages with a multimeter or while in Windows, but I'm out of ideas.....Could it possibly be my PSU?

Do the Memtest86 test first. What brand of power supply?

Its a Rosewill 500 watt PSU

Striker,

Your symptoms are very similar to a power supply problem, Rosewill's not the best. It's just as easy to make a bootable disk or CD and run Memtest86 for 4-5 full passes to clear that option out of the way and take a few readings with a DMM while you're at it.

It does sound like the power supply..........

I just ran memtest for a full 2 hours, or three passes, and got zero errors. The power supply is a little old, I got it when I first upgraded to 939 about 3 or so years ago.

I just ran memtest for a full 2 hours, or three passes, and got zero errors. The power supply is a little old, I got it when I first upgraded to 939 about 3 or so years ago.

Striker,

I think everyone commenting will agree that it looks like your power supply needs to be replaced. It's the only thing left. There are a lot of good ones that won't break the bank depending on your budget. You don't need a large capacity high wattage monster.

Wait and see if there are any other comments here. We all have a short list of good power supplies that can be posted for you. James listed a good one but there are less expensive ones depending on what you want to spend.

What kind of wattage is good for a computer like mine? I did that power calculator but it says I only use 350 watts. I'd like to leave room for a possible crossfire upgrade, or more memory, or more hard drives, or even more fans.

Crossfire go with 1900xt.

It's not worth it to go crossfire imo.

Corsair 520W if you might plan on doing it though.

if you're getting it from buy.com, make sure you choose
Free Budget shipping. Sometimes they default it to 3-5 day shipping and
people end up paying for shipping.

Back