• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Price check, quick thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SolidxSnake

So my friend is phasing into a new computer. He's got a Dell desktop.

Specs:

Intel P4 631 (3ghz)
4x256MB = 1GB DDR2
X600 PCIe
Proprietary Dell Mobo

What I was thinking was taking his 631, ram and vid card, selling my vid card, mobo, CPU, ram and PSU, and then buying a new PSU (to last a new build), a new vid card (to last a new build), and a new mobo (not sure if I'll get a cheap one or a good one).

I wanna get something like a 7900, or if it's cheap enough, an 8800. PSU, probably get quality 600-700w PSU that's reasonably quiet. Mobo, get a cheap mobo that supports C2D, but probably won't even need that. I'm planning on upgrading after X38 has been around for a while, when DDR3 is worth getting so I don't get stuck on old tech. Since I want to upgrade, I want to get some parts now that I won't change when I upgrade, and get cheap parts (mobo) to upgrade then. I can last with 1GB ram, as well as lasting with the 631. With a new videocard, the rig would be solid, definitely better than my current rig (2.4c @ 2.88).

Thing is, I'm not sure if I'll be able to get these parts for a while, as he still has to buy a CPU, a videocard and a PSU with next to no income (he has $10 atm hehehe). Even still, getting a cheap CPU and cheap DDR2 (and a cheap PCIe vid card to last me while I sell my AGP one to buy a better one) seems like a good deal to start getting PCIe parts.

Anyway, he doesn't know how much he wants to sell it for and I'm a good person, so he asked me to set the price. I could rip him off, but he's a really good friend and I couldn't do that. Personally, I have no clue how much a 631 or cheap 4x256MB DDR2 DIMMs go for. I was thinking around... $75? Is that too much for a 631, 1gb DDR2 and an X600?

Thanks in advance.

I typically say (oem price/2) on items such as this. $75 isn't a bad guesstimate for those items. The only one that hurts is the 4x256MB of memory. Individual sticks like that come at a much higher cost than a single 1GB module, but you can't expect a return like that on it.

$40 on the CPU, $15-20 on the card, and $15-20 on the memory is fairly spot-on.

Back