• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heat problems :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NoodleGTS

With all my fans on max, and stock frequencies all around, no AC, I'm idling at 44ºC-46ºC in CoreTemp. SpeedFan reads CPU at 42ºC and cores at 29ºC-30ºC. BIOS says 45ºC. AC on, everything drops about 5ºC and my room is actually cold. My IHS is lapped. I did 600/800/1000/1200/1500 progressively. I did the same for my Zalman 9700NT. I'm using AS5. Dual 8800GTSs are running stock coolers, not overclocked. The Dominator memory has its fan on full blast. I used to have a Fatal1ty 650i motherboard and a 7 series Zalman Fatal1ty cooler and my temps were under 30.

Any idea what it could be? The stock cooler usually does better...
Here's the inside of my case. Sorry for the huge-ness of it.

4.jpg

1 intake and 1 exhaust fan? Might be it.
Heating what little air it does get.

What is the actual room temperature for AC on and off?

ARG.. I don't have anything to measure room temperature on and off with, but I will tell you that with my AC on, the room is cold..
I just removed my dominator memory fan and my temps dropped 2ºC across all the cores. It's definitely got to be a case airflow thing.. I think it's time for a new case...

Last edited:
Try reseating the heatsink... Might have messed up on the thermal paste. Other than that, that is a pretty small case for all that high-end hardware. May I say a full-sized tower case?

I've reseated so many times that I've gone through 2 tubes of Arctic Silver and almost a whole bottle of the cleaner stuff...

I think you guys are right and I need a bigger case... hate to let this one go though, it's so pretty...

Get more powerful fans.

Beats putting everything back together in a new case.

Doesn't your AC tell you a temperature? :/

If i get more powerful fans I might have to move my computer to a different room. All my fans are already running on full blast. I think the only thing left to do is to buy a new case...

I've been looking at Silverstone TJ-09 vs Cooler Master stacker 830 evo. I think I'm going to go with the silverstone, since it looks a little more similar to my current rig (which i love with all my heart).

Cut 2 12cm intake at the bottom, I am going to do that since my 2900XT makes insane heat.

I dont think he wants to cut up this $250 case ;)

Well if you dont want to get a new case but still keep this one I guess you can get a kama bay and mount it in the 5.25 bay area, if you have enough space. Kama bays take up 3 5.25 inch slots.

When you get the kama bay, I guess you can experiment reverse airflow direction. test out negitive pressure

Also when you lapped, was it over a peice of glass?
When you applied AS5, did you use half of a rice grain size ammount?

There is also something else im concerned about but ill discuss about that next time

I have the newer version of his case, although I bought it for 150USD it already went under the knife. ;)

The kama bay won't fit because of the metal bars between the 5 inch bays.

Id try cutting the grills out of the current fan mounting locations with tin snips and buying some stronger fans...not necessarily faster/louder...blade pitch makes all the difference in sound and CFM. Shop for fans based on high CFM and low db levels at full speed. I think you'll be surprised at the difference in temps with the grills removed and quality fans on both ends of that case. Also, just my opinion, but that 9700 is probably not helping because its not part of the air stream front to back, it pushes air out in a radial manner and not through the heatsink towards the exhaust fan. Also I'd move the harddrive in the middle rack to the top spot so intake air flows smoothly into the case and not pushing against the harddrive as soon as it enters the case.

Yes i bought a "reviwed" one, for 16K Yen, still if he doesn't want to cut it then might sell well. There are plenty of airy cases cheaper than this.

Also you might fit a fan in the window, I am still thinking about this as it obstructs my view. ;)

Thanks guys.

I ended up buying a Silverstone TJ-09 in black with the window. It's the closest thing I could find to this case with more room and better airflow. My brother will be getting the Zalman case as a birthday present..

Talk about a hell of a birthday present...

Hi!

Are you sure that your temp probe is not broken / uncalibrated / misplaced?

I have a toledo 4400+ and Everest Ultimate Ed says that my CPU temp is 52-55 C while my core temps are 32-35 C. I think the temp reader is f***ed up and I don't trust it.

Cheers

Thanks guys.

I ended up buying a Silverstone TJ-09 in black with the window. It's the closest thing I could find to this case with more room and better airflow. My brother will be getting the Zalman case as a birthday present..

Talk about a hell of a birthday present...

If you do not think that he is deserving enough, I will be your brother!

But you are lucky. I have two sisters with no interest in PC's. Neither do most of my friends, OCF is all company I have in terms of talking about computers...:soda:

Just because your fans are on full blast, doesnt mean they provide good airflow. They are stock Zalman fans and arent all that great to begin with.

Regardless, GL with your new case.

Back