• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom/Barcelona Reviews/Previews and Pre-release Discussion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
He complains despite being Numero uno fansite they didn't get a bunch of servers to test.
Btw do we really need new bench threads to be opened by everyone ?

i just wanted to rejoice in my greatness... :)

lols

edit:

but i think it is only proper, to give it, its own thread. post all reviews here.

I wonder what type of heat these Barcelona's give off fanless. Can Intel's Quad Xeon's run fanless? I know they would run dang hot if they can!

Most servers dont have fans on the actual CPU. I have worked on every dell server line, quite a few HP Proliants and almost all of the HP9000 series of servers and most dont have fans on the CPU itself(barring a few exceptions and most of them are 9k servers).

They usually have a bunch of fans that plug into the front of the chassis and just blow across the heatsinks/memory.

http://halisway.hifichoice.com/1950back.png

http://blog.brains4all.com/brainblog/archives/powerEdge2950SexySide.jpg

http://www.hwsw.hu/kepek/hirek/2007/04/poweredge_2970.jpg

http://www.bitscn.com/upimg/server/20070111/11D51152GF2M21.jpg

The top pic is a PowerEdge 1950 and the bottom ones are the PowerEdge 2950. Those are the newest of Dell's server lineup. I cant tell you which processor core is in those but it is a newer CPU.

Here is a much older server. A PIII based PowerEdge 2450.. still no fans :)

http://www.levkowetz.com/images/dell2450a.jpg

The CPUz SS says 1.52V! I don't think it is correct, but if it is...Phenom FTL ...:confused: :-/

Ed mentioned it as well on the FP article and that is the first thing that caught my eye.

The CPUz SS says 1.52V! I don't think it is correct, but if it is...Phenom FTL ...:confused: :-/

Ed mentioned it as well on the FP article and that is the first thing that caught my eye.

It's probably wrong seeing as power consumption has been reduced.

No, it's correct. The new Opterons are suppose to sip power. They are 65nm and have better power management.

Will this default of a higher vcore mean there will be less headroom? I would have thought they would be striving for a lower voltage required.

Someone on XSforums who has a K10 said that cpu-z reported voltage could not be trusted at this point, but there's a dozen 5+ pages there about K10 and I don't feel like drudging through all of them to see who said it where :p

Will this default of a higher vcore mean there will be less headroom? I would have thought they would be striving for a lower voltage required.
These are early stepping revisions, I would not be surprised that they set a higher default for stability. We won't know what the real headroom will be until the C0 revision is in sockets.

edit: (needed to read more data before finishing post).
If the power test was run on the chips had the same volts as Anand used in the OPs link then that means AMD has fixed the leak problems, really improved on the power management and refined the 65nm process. Voltage the pressure between the - and + power planes. Current is the flow. Power consumption goes up only when current flows, voltage only pushes it through at higher volumes. Optimally AMD wants to keep electrons flowing when needed and stop them when idle. It's true that higher voltages cause more power usage but if the cpu can better use that power then it just uses more efficiently. The main benefit is on the SE and PE editions the power is there when we need it. We have yet to see more on the Desktops. As most OC'ers will turn off power management then the power issue will be out the window. It's on servers, ssf and media systems where this will benefit the most. Being able to run a X4 on about the same PSU as our current X2s is where we should benefit.

Last edited:
If these are out of NDA, what's with the convoluted spin-esq reporting? Why can't somebody provide some simple figures without writing 10 pages of worthless crap? I would like to see how these compare to a C2D in terms of games, price, memory scores, 3DM scores and real world applications. Is that so hard to do?

I won't hesitate to switch platforms in a heartbeat if something good comes up. Heck I hope AMD pull the rabbit out in double-quick time.:)

If these are out of NDA, what's with the convoluted spin-esq reporting? Why can't somebody provide some simple figures without writing 10 pages of worthless crap? I would like to see how these compare to a C2D in terms of games, price, memory scores, 3DM scores and real world applications. Is that so hard to do?

Yes, its really hard when it is ..........c'mon, you should know it better yourself ! ;)

-

Well these are all server boards they did their best to give you a hint how it performs.

21% improvement in HL2 over K8 when a 2.4G C2D beat the 3G K8. LINK
Might be enough to catch up but with the clockspeed difference between the two P.

I won't hesitate to switch platforms in a heartbeat if something good comes up. Heck I hope AMD pull the rabbit out in double-quick time.:)

From what we know the official release if 6:30PM LA time. What we are seeing now are numbers being slipped of to one up the other journalists. As this will be mainly server release, you may want to stoke that conroe just a little more until the later Phenoms are released. I'm sure we will see plenty of nice benches from the Asian and German enthusiasts as I'm sure they are sitting on some good hardware the rest of the world won't see for a few weeks (speaking on Phenoms).

guys please check the link i put up in the other thread, it has the tech report and anandtech articles benching dual socket opterons vs dual xeons(clovertowns) and vs intels tigerton(16 core beast)

Back