• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom/Barcelona Reviews/Previews and Pre-release Discussion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Its not too much slower, suprisingly close actually. However looking at that OC, it looks like I might be moving to intel for my next rig.. and that just makes me sad.

You with me 'Bama, or are you still holding on?

I should point out the Intel is slightly disadvantaged due to running a FSB of 230MHz, instead of stock 266MHz. Therefore memory would be running slower as well.

A 2.4GHz/266FSB Q6600 would generally score 5% better than those numbers, so we're looking at a 10 - 15% performance gap on average, though gaming is an unknown at this point, but I assume C2Q would generally be ahead as well, given it's inherent IPC advantage.

AMD needs to do a '3870' and price these closer to $200, not $300. Then again, not many people research products through reviews etc, and theres plenty of AM2 people out there who would gladly upgrade to a QC chip I reckon, so theres certainly a market for Phenom. I predict stock would be pretty tight in the first couple of weeks...

PCMARK

853bwy1.png.jpg

RD-790FX, Phenom @Default 2.4GHz, 2GB RAM, HD3870

here's the memory settings:
6jzggut.png.jpg

here's a comparrison
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?pcmv=3125
Q6600 @ 2.4GHz; 2GB, 8800GTX
PCMarkSuite 4973 PCMarks
Memories Suite 4445
TV and Movies Suite 4154
Gaming Suite 4706
Music Suite 4478
Communications Suite 4138
Productivity Suite 4570
HDD Test Suite 4275

you can follow the thread here:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=166023

notice the intel has 'better' vid card, and the AMD is still having memory issues (note the lower mem score, compared even to a K8 X2)

Looks like without good OCs or dumping 800 to 1200 on a chip AMD is still a good choice, That's all I needed to see.

Now, do I order a 9500 or 9700 :shrug:

Looks like without good OCs or dumping 800 to 1200 on a chip AMD is still a good choice, That's all I needed to see.

Now, do I order a 9500 or 9700 :shrug:
Since the new chips will probably be very closely speed-binned for awhile I'd go with the 9700.
If you wait three months or so the 9500 would probably be great for OC'ers ... ;)

Man I'd love to put a 9700 in my AM2 board time to research how much it'll hold me back performance wise.

Looks like the 9700 is on recall so a 9600 may be on order. I'll only oc it to 2.7 on the current boards. If it does 2.8 then I'll be hopping around the room. My Windsor Rocks at 2.8 so one of these babies would Roll! Folding and Rendering that is.

Back