• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Redoing my setup..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PearlJammzz

So I am thinking I might be able ot get my hands on another 8800GTX fairly cheaply (woots!). Anyways, if I do I will want to water cool my 2 8800's as well as my x3220. *EDIT* I will be cooling the 2gpu's and the cpu w/ the MCw60 and Apogee GTX. 1/2'' tubing will be used as well.

My case is a Lian-li V1200 PlusII. I am thinking of a 2x120mm top mounted, and a 3 (or 2)x120mm bottom mounted. The 3x120 will BARELY fit, but it will and that's what matters.

1. Are 2 2x120mm's enough to cool a 3220 @ 3.7, and 2 overclocked 8800gtx's effectively? Or will I really be wanting that extra 120mm that comes w/ the 3x120mm?

2. What pump would be best for such a loop? the 355 + petra's top, or the 655?

Last edited:
1. Depends on the rad and amount of airflow, but I'd say individually a 120.2 will dissipate enough heat for the CPU and the 120.2 would be cutting it close, but should be able to handle two GTXs, so together in a loop they should be fine. However if you can get a 120.3 it doesnt cost much more and gives you a decent bit of headroom.

short answer: Go with 120.2 and a 120.3 - you'll be happier later down the line.

2. With a top the 355 apparently performs better and is quieter, but then I cant hear my D5 at 4/5 inside a case mounted on foam, so they're both basically silent. I've always thought the D5/655 is more reliable, as I've never heard of one failing as long as it was treated properly, however you do hear now and again about the 350/355 pumps having problems.

short answer:
I dont know :p

Both my D5 and DDC has been kicking it 24/7 since january. Btw def go dual rads with the triple rad for the cpu. I was skeptical about doing this too, but the final product was well worth it in terms of its OC'ing capabilities.

Thanks guys :).

3. Is there going to be flow issues w/ one of those pumps pushing through that whole big loop?

Back