• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Valve Orange Box available for preorder!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
if you are really determined to not have duplicate games
You can buy them individually
However
Episode 2 is $30
portal is $20
Team Fortress 2 is $30
Total seperately bought = 80$

and if you want all 3(+2 old games) as a packaged deal its 45$

you guys can do the math

But valve already said the black box will be available via steam. Retailers didn't want two boxes but on steam they said they were keeping the packaging of the black box so that people who already bought HL2 & EP1 didn't have to rebuy them. Valve is good to its customers ;). So There will be a black box cheaper than $80, and cheaper than the orange box..

Also as I understood it, if you bough EP2 you got portal free with it.

But valve already said the black box will be available via steam. Retailers didn't want two boxes but on steam they said they were keeping the packaging of the black box so that people who already bought HL2 & EP1 didn't have to rebuy them. Valve is good to its customers ;). So There will be a black box cheaper than $80, and cheaper than the orange box..

Also as I understood it, if you bough EP2 you got portal free with it.

Well it's too bad there will not be a Black Box on retail shelves. Steam is fine and all but I prefer to buy a game with packaging, discs, booklet, box art etc... Call me old fashioned but waiting for a game to DL, backing it up on disc, trying to design something fancy to print on the label, blah blah blah... all kinda bites IMO.

So I guess I'll be buying the Orange Box. At least it's a half decent price, if it's the same price retail as it is via Steam?

Well it's too bad there will not be a Black Box on retail shelves. Steam is fine and all but I prefer to buy a game with packaging, discs, booklet, box art etc... Call me old fashioned but waiting for a game to DL, backing it up on disc, trying to design something fancy to print on the label, blah blah blah... all kinda bites IMO.

So I guess I'll be buying the Orange Box. At least it's a half decent price, if it's the same price retail as it is via Steam?

I've been using Steam since its launch and it's really not an issue in regards to backing up games. Any PC you log onto with your account will be able to download all the games associated with the account. I've had 5 or 6 different PCs since getting Steam and have never had an issue getting my Steam games downloaded onto the new PC (There's no 're-activation' by phone involved or anything like that). There's really no need to backup onto disc.

Thanks Burn, I know all that but it's just the old schooler in me I guess. I like to have a physical object sitting on my shelf that I can touch and look at and know that it is safe with me. Same reason I still buy CDs too. I have bought a couple of downloaded games. But I just prefer the box ;)

Thanks Burn, I know all that but it's just the old schooler in me I guess. I like to have a physical object sitting on my shelf that I can touch and look at and know that it is safe with me. Same reason I still buy CDs too. I have bought a couple of downloaded games. But I just prefer the box ;)

Agreed. But, if the non-box version is like $15 cheaper(like it should be), I'll gladly buy the downloadable version with an online backup ready for me anytime I want :D If a game is the same price to download as it is to buy retail, I'll buy the retail boxed version every time (same with music too).

I've been using Steam since its launch and it's really not an issue in regards to backing up games. Any PC you log onto with your account will be able to download all the games associated with the account. I've had 5 or 6 different PCs since getting Steam and have never had an issue getting my Steam games downloaded onto the new PC (There's no 're-activation' by phone involved or anything like that). There's really no need to backup onto disc.

Except it's way faster to re-install from a disc vs. downloading again. Bandwidth also costs money.

Except it's way faster to re-install from a disc vs. downloading again. Bandwidth also costs money.

Yeah. It takes about 40-60 minutes to download HL2 with a good connection (600-650 Kb/s), but when downloaded, it's the latest version. Meaning you don't have to go onto steam and then download all the updates after installing it. From a retail CD, you do, which takes another 15 to 20 minutes. The time issue kind of equals out in that sense. And Steam has excellent bandwidth, unless it's something like launch day for Bioshock. I usually get my max speed (650-725 Kb/s) downloading from Steam.

I just want Ep 2 and TF2. Looks like I'll be buying them individually, unless I can find a friend to go halfsies with me who doesn't already have HL2 and E1

Yeah. It takes about 40-60 minutes to download HL2 with a good connection (600-650 Kb/s), but when downloaded, it's the latest version. Meaning you don't have to go onto steam and then download all the updates after installing it. From a retail CD, you do, which takes another 15 to 20 minutes. The time issue kind of equals out in that sense. And Steam has excellent bandwidth, unless it's something like launch day for Bioshock. I usually get my max speed (650-725 Kb/s) downloading from Steam.

Wish I had that, I get around 20-30 :(

And you can get the Fake Factory Cinematic Mod for HL2 and Ep1. The Mod nicely ups the graphics quality of all the original missions in both games! I don't play them without it ;)

+1 I got this this week... killer mod!!

As for this Urrnge box, somehow I knew that they would make me buy the whole thing just to get EP2. I don't play online much so TF2 and portal are mostly uselss although I hope portal has stuff you can do offline. :(

actually just put cinematic mod on my brother's pc using my 7600GT. He's got a DFI 939 mobo with 1 gig of ram and an AMD 3000 (1.9ghz) cpu and MAN it brought his system to it's knees. Load time was like 5 minutes!

yay..preloaded is fun.... ;)

heavy weapsons guy loaded into the particle bench.
no ai or anything, he just stand there.

standyl3.png

deadkv2.png

actually just put cinematic mod on my brother's pc using my 7600GT. He's got a DFI 939 mobo with 1 gig of ram and an AMD 3000 (1.9ghz) cpu and MAN it brought his system to it's knees. Load time was like 5 minutes!

Doesn't surprise me. I even noticed a dif in load times. Especially in the beginning levels for some reason?

Have you seen side by side comparisons of with and without? Probably adds quite a bit to the overhead of the game considering it is probably just high res textures and tweaked shaders/lighting. Oh well... time for an upgrade! ;)

File Size Version
source 2007 binaries.gcf 570.77 MBytes 0
source 2007 shared materials.gcf 985.02 MBytes 0
source 2007 shared models.gcf 148.29 MBytes 0
source 2007 shared sounds.gcf 2.26 MBytes 0
source materials.gcf 1.02 GBytes 8
source models.gcf 449.57 MBytes 4
source sounds.gcf 975.75 MBytes 4
team fortress 2 content.gcf 1.36 GBytes 0
team fortress 2 materials.gcf 1.15 GBytes 0

Back