• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

This is a very newbie question but I must ask

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NewToThisOC

Registered
I'm using a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme with a Scythe S-Flex fan. My question is, which way do I face the fan?

Right now I've got the fan mounted on the RAM side of the CPU cooler with the label facing towards the I/O shield part of the mobo. There are no arrows on the fan showing which way the air is blowing.

This is my first build so please excuse the newbie mistakes.

Push or pull will both work with the Ultra 120 but imo pushing air into the heatsink and then out the back of the case is best, it sounds like thats the way you have set it up.

When you start your rig up place your hand at the back of the heatsink to make sure the air is blowing the right way.

Plug it in to your PSU, and short the green and black wires to turn on the PSU, and see which way the fan blows.

Most fans will have blades shaped like scoops, something like a big parenthesis sign. If you're looking at the fan and it's shaped like ( then the air will be blowing to the right. If it's shaped like ) then it will be blowing to the left.

My Scythe fan move air out the labled side. Most here it seems will push air through the heatsink (lable can not be seen) to the back of the fan. Depending on case cnonfiguration this air will be moving to an exhuast fan and out the back. Thus, a kinda push pull.

All fans follow the same construction to show which way to point the flow of air. You have the outer frame, which has the screw holes, then there are supports for the center section with the motor. This side is the side the air flows out from the fan. It will also usually have a label here. So point the label where you want the air.

Example:

Looking at this picture (you can also click it for a plain page with it), the angle you see it, the airflow would be just above your head and to the right, towards you.

Back