• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Disable touch pad on laptop?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Foolios

There are two ways to control the arrow(cursor arrow?) on this laptop. One way is the little joystick that's in the keyboard and the two buttons just below the space bar. The other way is with a touch-pad below that with its own set of left and right click buttons.
I find this lower touch-pad very annoying and accidentally hit it all the time. It's ability to double click when quickly touched is aggravating as all get out.
Is there a way to disable it? Is there a device that can cover it?
Anyone know what options there are for this kind of problem?

Thanks in advance.

If it is an Alps-type touchpad and you have the software/driver installed, then you can disable it in its configuration utility. I always disable mine on my i8600 when I have a mouse attached.

If bad comes to worse, just disable the device in Device Manager.

Try using the synaptics driver if your device supports it. My laptop has a button to disable the touchpad, though I never really have much of a reason to use it.

If it is an Alps-type touchpad and you have the software/driver installed, then you can disable it in its configuration utility. I always disable mine on my i8600 when I have a mouse attached.

If bad comes to worse, just disable the device in Device Manager.

I didn't find anything in the bios to control it. I also didn't find a setting in the control panel for mouse to change the sensitivity.

I decided to look into the Alps driver since it might be that it's not installed.

Downloaded and installed it thanks to Dell still providing the support.

The Alps driver gave me the option of selecting whether I wanted to use the stick/stick and touchpad/ or just touchpad.

Very awesome, that helped me the most.

KUDOS!!

Back