• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do my 6750 temps suck?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johnnysd

Registered
Have a new P35-D3Sr, E6750. and 2 gigs Crucial Ballistix 6400, Ultima 90 (AS5) with Scythe F-flex plugged into motherboard CPU controller

At stock speed and voltage I was getting around 40C idle and 56 at load in Prime 95 (after about 10 minutes)

At stock voltage, 3.2 Ghz 800x 4 1:1 memory I am around 46/45 (i assume surfing and posting here is idle) and after 10 minutes of Prime 95 I was at the 65/66 border

Readings are from Core Temp 95.4

Let me know if these are out of whack. They seem very high to me.

they do seem very high

Try to reseat the heatsink, and when you remove it check the AS5 on the IHS of the cpu and see if it was making good contact or where it was not making good contact. It may be taht your heatsink is not flat. If the reseat doesn't work then you may want to lap the heatsink. Also make sure you are following the proper instruction for applying AS5.
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu7d98...f/appinstruct/as5/ins_as5_intel_dual_wcap.pdf

they do seem very high

Try to reseat the heatsink, and when you remove it check the AS5 on the IHS of the cpu and see if it was making good contact or where it was not making good contact. It may be taht your heatsink is not flat. If the reseat doesn't work then you may want to lap the heatsink. Also make sure you are following the proper instruction for applying AS5.
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu7d98...f/appinstruct/as5/ins_as5_intel_dual_wcap.pdf

I will reseat the HS but something I just noticed. CPU-Z is reporting my V-core at 1.408, but I have not changed it in BIOS. That seems strange as well.

I will reseat the HS but something I just noticed. CPU-Z is reporting my V-core at 1.408, but I have not changed it in BIOS. That seems strange as well.

if you have it set to auto in the BIOS, the system will do that. Try setting it manually to 1.3V or even lower if you can and recheck your temperature then.

if you have it set to auto in the BIOS, the system will do that. Try setting it manually to 1.3V or even lower if you can and recheck your temperature then.

Please pardon my noob confusion but the Intel spec page says that the core voltage is .962 -1.35V, yet my MB is already putting it a 1.4 or so, and that is outside the spec. Plus people are using 1.5V or higher. Am I missing something? Why would the auto setting overvolt the CPU at default, or is it that with the newer processors you have to go in and set them up in BIOS for proper voltage as well as FSB (which I had to do)?

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLA9V

Keep us posted, I would really like to know since I'm planning to get the Ultima-90 soon, and that would make our rigs pretty close to identical.
My mobo put mine at 1.35 default and i've not changed it even at 3.0

Please pardon my noob confusion but the Intel spec page says that the core voltage is .962 -1.35V, yet my MB is already putting it a 1.4 or so, and that is outside the spec. Plus people are using 1.5V or higher. Am I missing something? Why would the auto setting overvolt the CPU at default, or is it that with the newer processors you have to go in and set them up in BIOS for proper voltage as well as FSB (which I had to do)?

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLA9V

I have never understood how the board sets the vcore when you set it on auto in the BIOS, but it will vary. You should always set it manually, and find the minimum voltage that still allows you to remain stable.

Beyond 1.5V it starts becoming iffy if you are on air cooling. But as long as your temps are under 65C or so you can use 1.5V. This is all relative though people have different definitions of what safe is and how much they are willing to push.

EDIT: Also software voltage reading are not always 100% correct.

Last edited:
CPU-Z 1.41 will give accurate enough voltages. If you have the Vcore set to Auto the MoBo will automatically raise your Vcore as you raise the FSB. It assumes you need more Vcore to OC. If you run at stock speed then stock Vcore will be used. The Intel spec page also has the speed listed, and it isn't variable, so if you want more you are going out of spec however you look at it.

You might not even need a re-seat, but it's hard to tell until you take control of the voltages. If you read Bing's UVOC thread you can determine if you need a re-seat. Some say 70* is high...I think 80* is fine, and even 90* is OK, but I won't run 90* 24/7. These CPUs are rated up to 100*, and there are accounts of people not having their HS's properly attached and the CPU has been hitting 100* almost constantly. The CPU has a built-in protection, and will throttle if it gets too hot (100*).

Keep us posted, I would really like to know since I'm planning to get the Ultima-90 soon, and that would make our rigs pretty close to identical.
My mobo put mine at 1.35 default and i've not changed it even at 3.0

Except for the case, we do have an identical system.

Have you checked your Vcore in CPU-Z to see what it says since we both have it at 1.35 default in the BIOS? If so post it here if you can for comparison to mine.

CPU-Z 1.41 will give accurate enough voltages. If you have the Vcore set to Auto the MoBo will automatically raise your Vcore as you raise the FSB. It assumes you need more Vcore to OC. If you run at stock speed then stock Vcore will be used. The Intel spec page also has the speed listed, and it isn't variable, so if you want more you are going out of spec however you look at it.

You might not even need a re-seat, but it's hard to tell until you take control of the voltages. If you read Bing's UVOC thread you can determine if you need a re-seat. Some say 70* is high...I think 80* is fine, and even 90* is OK, but I won't run 90* 24/7. These CPUs are rated up to 100*, and there are accounts of people not having their HS's properly attached and the CPU has been hitting 100* almost constantly. The CPU has a built-in protection, and will throttle if it gets too hot (100*).

Ah, that makes a lot of sense, so I will have to control it manually. It seems rock solid FWIW at 3.2GHZ just doing my manual creation work at home here. Probably does not mean much. I will lower it to 1.3V and see what happens and let everyone know. I was pretty caredul with the hsf and followed AS5 instructions for the CPU so I would be surprised, but not shocked, if that was an issue.

Except for the case, we do have an identical system.

Have you checked your Vcore in CPU-Z to see what it says since we both have it at 1.35 default in the BIOS? If so post it here if you can for comparison to mine.
I had high temps so I lowered my fsb to 350x 8 (2.8), and lowered my cpu voltage to 1.33, and my temps have not changed a bit :(
CPU-Z says 1.312, I think it has never changed.

What case do you have? I'm planning to order an Antec 900 and the Ultima-90 soon.

I had high temps so I lowered my fsb to 350x 8 (2.8), and lowered my cpu voltage to 1.33, and my temps have not changed a bit :(
CPU-Z says 1.312, I think it has never changed.

What case do you have? I'm planning to order an Antec 900 and the Ultima-90 soon.

I am using a Lian-Li PC-70

Update:

Went to manual voltages and set it to 1.3000v. Also, undervolted the memory slightly to .3V or 2.1V.

Booted to windows fine, ran Prime 95 for 48 minutes and then through 3d mark.

My temperatures went down a lot (I think)

At idle it is at around 42/40 but bounces around a little

in Prime 95 it started at 57 then just touched 59 briefly in the first pass, but then settled in at 58/57 for the remainder of the test. No errors on the four passes through.

No glitches or problems in 3dmark and it to around 52 degrees in 3dMArk.

Is this better to the point of not reseating the HSF?

What would be my next steps?

Appreciate everyone's help.

Still at 8x400, 1:1

Last edited:
The only way I know for sure if you need a remount or not is to try the Bing UVOC method, but your temps are not bad if you want to continue running at this speed. If you want more speed and temps get higher than you want then consider a remount.

Thanks to everyone for their help. I think I am going to leave it where it is for a while as I have good temps and it is stable. I will let the AS set and see if the temos come down. Interestingly right now it is idling at 36C/35C, and it is still at 3.2. It is still a big jump over core and I can always go back and tweak some more when it has burned in some more.

Now I just have to get rid of this aluminum ring I seem to have developed......

Back