• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will Intel release a low cache quad core CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kittyhawk

Registered
Intel has released the E21x0 series CPU, which is actually a Core 2 Duo CPU with only 1MB cache.

Will Intel release a Core 2 Quad CPU with only 2MB (or 4MB) cache in the near future? Such a CPU will be really attractive :) .

hmm If I am not mistaken, the 21x0 are actually pentiums and not core2duo procs.

--pak

Only the name is Pentium, the proc itself is Core 2.

I sure hope they will make 2x2MB or 2x1MB quads, and if this rumor of AMD Tri-core is true (TheINQ, big chance its not true), i think its possible Intel will do just that. Shouldnt take much time for Otellini to find his ducttape in his desk drawer and start making Pentium Quad Cores.

Only the name is Pentium, the proc itself is Core 2.

I sure hope they will make 2x2MB or 2x1MB quads, and if this rumor of AMD Tri-core is true (TheINQ, big chance its not true), i think its possible Intel will do just that. Shouldnt take much time for Otellini to find his ducttape in his desk drawer and start making Pentium Quad Cores.

Uhhh pentium... misleading, it is an allendale with half the cache disabled.

Yes intel will release a half cache quad. Not on conroe, but in penryn. The two lowest grade quads will have half the cache of the bigger brother counterpart.

:beer:

hmm If I am not mistaken, the 21x0 are actually pentiums and not core2duo procs.

--pak
Same Core2Duo architecture, just less cache. It's not based on the netburst architecture of the Pentium 4's.

Yes intel will release a half cache quad. Not on conroe, but in penryn. The two lowest grade quads will have half the cache of the bigger brother counterpart.

:beer:
But if AMD release cheap tri-cores targeted between DC and QC Intel need to respond with something. Since Intel cant go tri-core that easily a low end quad is the most likely countermeasure.

Tri-core just seems...weird. And it wouldn't be 50% more performance, it would just be 50% more cores. I can't think of a lot of applications where you would be stuck between a dual core and a quad core and opt for a tri-core.

Sounds to me like yields are bad enough to warrant disabling entire cores in a large quantity of their processors.

Tri-core just seems...weird. And it wouldn't be 50% more performance, it would just be 50% more cores. I can't think of a lot of applications where you would be stuck between a dual core and a quad core and opt for a tri-core.

Sounds to me like yields are bad enough to warrant disabling entire cores in a large quantity of their processors.

exactly. I would never get a tri-core, because they prolly won't overclock well either since they'd be the bottom of the bottom.

Back