• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ibook- strange behaviour

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ihrsetrdr

Señor Senior Member
Well, last night I finally received the ibook 700 G3 purchased on ebay. I got it home, booted it up and the ibook all seems to work fine, for the first 5 to 10 minutes that it's running. Then, the system just stops responding. None of the icons or 'windows' will work, no keyboard response either. Only a cold shutdown will work. Once rebooted, all works fine, but again after 5 to 10 minutes, the system just ceases to respond. I thought maybe the Power Management settings were the cause, so I set everything to "never" for sleep, hibernate, etc. That didn't make any difference. I don't know if there is any kind of hardware issue, or strictly software related. On the way to work this afternoon it occurred to me to try booting to the old OS 9.** kernel, which I noticed was present.

Any thoughts?

Doing that will actually not change the state of the PMU

Start the Mac up from an off state while holding down command option o and f. Then type (hitting return after each line)

reset-pmu

reset-nvram

set-defaults

reset-all

That should do a clean reset of all your non-volatile memories. After it restarts, boot up while holding down command-v for verbose mode and take note of any errors. (warnings, recurring entries, etc). Then go into the Utilities folder within the Applications folder and open up the console. Look through the system log for any error messages (kernel panics, etc).

List as much info here as you can. Also try running it in OS 9 to see if it's just a bad OS X install. Be sure to repair the permissions.

Oops, I totally forgot update this thread. :eek: A lot has happened since the start of this saga...the bottom line is:

1. I replaced the known bad cdrom

2. I shimmed the onboard video chip, to put pressure on the ball grid array that has micro-fractures in the solder joints.

3. I installed ubuntu (ppc) 6.10 on the ibook G3, and it successfully detected and configured the Airport card.

I had bought the OS X 10.3.xx CD set off ebay, but while waiting for those to arrive, I had already installed Ubuntu. Everything works so well(and I'm so burned-out) I hate the thought of installing OS X right now. I'm sure I will, eventually; right now I'm happy that this ibook works so well! :D

Back