• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Kill-A-Watt

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dmatko

Ive always wanted to know how much draw my system has, and how much it runs on our average monthly billing cycle. I have SCE (Southern California Edison) as our local power company. Ordered up one of these http://the-gadgeteer.com/review/kill_a_watt_electric_usage_monitor_review and began my test.

Folder Specs::
2x265 opteron (stock clock 1.8ghz)
1x x1950xt 512mb (stock clock)

After letting the Kill do its thing for 1 hour, I came up with a baseline for my system.

0.35 kwh X $0.125 hr (per current SCE rates*) = $0.04375 per hr
$0.04375 per hr X 24 hr = $1.05 per day
$1.05 per day X 30 days = $ 31.50 per month
$31.50 per month X 12 months = $378.00 per year

Complete bill includes taxes;surcharges;etc....

I gathered point output by using FAHspy info:

Windows SMP-Unit 2653 (14-38-27)-1221 PPD {20:45 per step}
Windows GPU-Unit 2747 (6-128-33)-486 PPD {9:46 per step}

True PPD output Per 24hr as it stands will be 1221+486=1707 PPD.
Total cost is $1.05 per 1707 PPD running 24hrs a day.

If any corrections are needed plz let me know, as I am the last person who should be doing anything involving math. :D

((Full System Spex:: CM Stacker T01-Tyan k8we-4x Corsair ECC 1gb-2x265 Opts-1x x1950xt-1x WD Cav 80gb-1x lite/on dvd/rw-2x hr-01-2x thermaltake 120mm-2x panaflo 120mm-3x 80mm-1x Zalmann Fan Controller-1x pcp&c 1kw))

EDITED!!!

After looking at the bill more extensively, I recalculated the totals. The SCE bill has a few different price listings on it, and I assumed the first rate of $0.029 was the rate at which they charge, since it was what i found on their website as well. Last month we used 375 kwh, for a total bill of $46.85 w/ taxes, surcharges etc. $46.85/375 kwh=$0.1249 per kwh

EDITED 2!!!

Woops, I fubared again. I have the kill connected to my Belkin UPS, which also has my monitor and speakers connected to it. After prepping to go to bed, I turned off my monitor and just for giggles checked the measurement. Looks like my system actually only draws 360 kwh. HOWEVER, if turn my 2x 120 panaflos and 2x 120 thermaltakes down all the way with my zalman, it draws only 350 kwh.

Last edited:
Good info. :thup:

It has long been the norm to assume that 1 folding box = $10 @ month in bill hikes.
(only time assuming applies that I've found)

Not everyone is aware of this though.

Now this is for a CPU client.

The GPU clients may be a different story.

I believe P_scout has done the research on those.

:cool:

wait, you live in CA and only paying $0.029/Kw!!! :eek: I might actually rethink 'bout moving to CA then!! I'm paying $0.10/kW here in Maryland!! so it's more like $20/folding rig for me!! :bang head

That was the best tool I ever bought. I had a old monitor I used to leave on. It sucked 100 watts just sitting on standby. I've started switching to those lower power curly/ florucent screw in lights. Seems to have saved about 20 a month.

EDITED 2!!!

Woops, I fubared again. I have the kill connected to my Belkin UPS, which also has my monitor and speakers connected to it. After prepping to go to bed, I turned off my monitor and just for giggles checked the measurement. Looks like my system actually only draws 360 kwh. HOWEVER, if turn my 2x 120 panaflos and 2x 120 thermaltakes down all the way with my zalman, it draws only 350 kwh.

So, what's the newly calculated cost per month per rig?

Actually ned, everything up there is now on par in terms of usage/draw/cost. I just did the edits for people who may have seen this thread before I made the adjustments so they know I fixed my calculations and that they changed. :bang head just 1 rig, but 2x opts 265

Last edited:
I hope it's not costing me $31/month to run one E6600! :eek:

How much does that kill-a-watt meter cost? $40?

Back