Need a transparent, but not clear, flexible covering for case front

I need a perfectly flat front panel for my case. I plan on having to make it from sheet metal or acrylic and placing a front on it.
    What i want to do is to completely hide the power and reset buttons.
    I saw a flat switch set but i'm not sure i could use it for the power reset switches. (also planning on hooking up my water pump and lighting)
    http://www.autozone.com/selectedZip,.../selectZip.htm
    I would need something like a vinyl cover for the case front, however I would like to have a LCD temp display hidden behind it, so it shows through when powered but is otherwise invisible. I also need to be able to send IR signal throught the material.
    http://www.sundialmicro.com/silverst..._1977_982.html
    Any ides for a covering, or how to build the front?
    (black colored, can't see into computer, but LCD display can show through, semi flexible so buttons can be hidden underneath.)
    Last edited by curtis1552; 09-20-07 at 03:22 PM. Reason: spelling

Destroyer of Empires and User Accounts, El Huginator
    Premium Member #3
    First Responders
    Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile
    to the forums!!

If you want a material that is transparent but not clear your display behind the material would be fuzzy and hard to read unless it was pretty bright
    Desktop: Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H | 3570k | 32 GB | GTX 770 Classified | 1 TB Samsung Evo & 2 TB HDD | Windows 3.1 | 4x 2560x1400 Monitors
    VM Server 1: Dell R710 | 2x L5630 | 96 GB RAM | 8x 300 GB Savvio | IBM M1015 | 34 TB Raw disk | XenServer
    VM Server 2: Dell R710 | 2x L5630 | 96 GB RAM |
    8x 300 GB Savvio | XenServer
    Router: Dell R410 | E5620 | 32 GB RAM | 3x 300 GB | pfsense
    "That's not overkill, or a lot. That's just thiderastic." -txus.palacios
    "Clouds are silent, cold, and wet. Servers are none of these things." -Bobnova

Current projects: Rackmount Overkill (New) | Little Overkill (New)
    Articles: Rack Mounting 101 | Dell Perc 5/i Throughput Benchmarks
    My Website

Want to talk directly to all the moderators at once? Call the Mod Hotline!

Try covering the front in clear perspex, but spray paint the back of the perspex black (masking off where you want to 'see' through) it gives a nice shiny front to the case

- mine isn't shiny, needs a clean
    Used it on one of my cases
    Or you could use frosted glass, which would allow the lcd to show through as long as it was pushed up tight to the back, nut it might screw with the ir though
    Main Rig - Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 : Gigabyte EP35-DS3R : 8Gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 10600 : Gigabyte GTX 460 : 80Gb - 80Gb - Win7 Pro -{Zoe}-
    Media Center - Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 : Gigabyte P35-DS3L : 2gb DDR2 6400 : Asus 9400GS : 160Gb - 1Tb - Win7 Pro -{Mary-v4}-
    Server - Athlon64 3500 : Compaq MB : 2Gb DDR 3200 : 1Tb(x4) - 320Gb - Ubuntu Server 64bit 8.04LTS -{Jenny}-

Server - Pentium 4 3.2 : Rocky SBC + backplane : 2Gb DDR 3200 : 40Gb - Ubuntu Server 8.04LTS -{Suzie}-
    Lappy - Pentium M 755 : 2Gb DDR 3200 : 80Gb - Win7 Pro/Ubuntu/Win XP -{Bonnie}-

Negative on the perspex, I wanted to hide flat buttons behind it so i could operate the power and such.
    this vinyl is closer, but i don't want it clear or mirrored.
    A matte grey or black would be perfect, but i haven't located one.
    http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=248&
    I don't truly need the transparent quality, but I want it when i have the money for atemp display or lcd screen.

You could try the clear vinyl from tap but use window tint on the back to make it dark to hide things but still allow IR and LCD to show through.

I hadn't thought of window tint.
    Any idea of what % shade?