• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it posible to force laptop fans on?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mathersalan

I have a Toshiba P105, has a graphics overheating problems has been sent to the repair center two days to replace the vid card and motherboard now that I have to send it off to the main toshiba depot..Really do not want to go though all of that. I notice that fans hardly run only for 5 seonds when it hits 110*C and it idles 80*C on core and 65*C on ampiture. Only time I notice the fans ever running is when you turn it on. I'd like to know a way on how to force the fans to turn it on software way..rivatuner does not work or speedfan.

Nope :D

I have THE EXACT same problem with my Toshiba. The graphics card used to get well over 100c and heat up the entire laptop...AT THE DESKTOP. It has been in for repair....*counts fingers and toes*...3 times now, and been replaced once. This is over the course of a year, yes...a year. Their support is probably the worst I have ever seen. I got this laptop for last school year, and it worked for two weeks and started overheating. It was in for repair locally 2 times (over 2 months) and they still couldn't fix it, and they replaced every part except the hdd in the thing. After that, they refused to work on it and told me to talk to Toshiba. Their support is horrible, as simple as that. If they say they will call you back, right, you'll be lucky to get a call 4 weeks from now. If you have to send it in, expect it to be gone months. It is literally an all out war trying to get a working computer from them. Thanks to them, I've had a complete school year without my laptop. THANKS TOSHIBA!!

I really hope you have a better experience with them, but I personally will make sure I tell everyone I know to stay away from them.

Took mine to the local repair shop to replace everything except ram and HDD. Now they said no take it to the depot..I believe a I found a fix now that I am idling 52*C core and 47*C ambient which is still not good..but it plays Oblivion maxed out for the past hour it will artifact for a few seconds at the beginning than it will stop. Looking at the riviatuner hw monitoring it got up to as high as 67*C.

I reformat HDD and loaded my own copy of XP, loaded the nvidia drivers from repair disk, and loaded the Toshiba control utility and now everything seems to be working properly. My guess the Toshiba utility drivers are what controls the fans, and somehow they crashed after a year of stress when my dad used it in Iraq for the past year. I DID however take apart the laptop after the repair shop refused to replace the GPU, it was pretty easy..I replaced the powder like thermal substance with some left over AS5 sitting around. The heatsink is a thin piece of copper heatsink with a flat heat pipe which is connected to a small copper heatsink grill that comes out of the laptop where the fans blows though it.

Yup, I did the same after it started having problems with the fans and heat.

I know if I reinstalled from the CD they gave me, it would have heat issues. If I installed with my own personal installation CD and the key on the bottom of the laptop it would work fine, but died shortly after. :(

I think our problems could be solved if Toshiba gave a rats *** and created an app that lets you configure your own fans to go full blast 3500 RPM..I know they can go that high because during start up they are pretty loud after 3 seconds pushing all that hotair out like a hair dryer. I could do some sort of mod like rout the GPU fan wire to the main power source..or risk it, disconnect the yellow fan control wire maybe that will cause the fan to go full blast 24/7...Or make a switch and drimmel a small hole on the side to turn on/off full blast

I think our problems could be solved if Toshiba gave a rats *** and created an app that lets you configure your own fans to go full blast 3500 RPM..I know they can go that high because during start up they are pretty loud after 3 seconds pushing all that hotair out like a hair dryer. I could do some sort of mod like rout the GPU fan wire to the main power source..or risk it, disconnect the yellow fan control wire maybe that will cause the fan to go full blast 24/7
You nailed it ;). But sadly, I very much doubt that will happen, they have already lost my business. I probably have to send this laptop back in, and when I do get a replacement, I will immediately sell it :(

The yellow pin is just a RPM monitor, it may cause the mb to panic and put the fan full tilt, but I doubt it. The other stupid thing is, the fan for the video card is not controlled by the video card. That is a huge flaw as when the software fails, there is nothing there to save the video card, it just cooks and dies.

Well you did sent it to the depot...I assume you got it back within a long *** month..Was it a replacment new out of box or the same laptop?

Well you did sent it to the depot...I assume you got it back within a long *** month..Was it a replacment new out of box or the same laptop?
It was definitely a different computer. It had stickers all over it and had a different serial number and different mac addresses. And it was way more than a month ;)

How many months? And how long did it take for this one to screw up>?
3 months for a replacement because they had to "approve it". Which is total bs. This one so far has not had any problems except it can't remember what time it is, which is REALLY annoying.

They probably took it apart to see if you took it upon your self repairing it..I am worried if I send it it in they'll find some BS excuse and reject it. Like replacing the thermal compound under the VGA heatsink...But I still have papers from the repair place to confirm that its been handled by a certified repairman

They probably took it apart to see if you took it upon your self repairing it..I am worried if I send it it in they'll find some BS excuse and reject it. Like replacing the thermal compound under the VGA heatsink...
Nope, I did that on mine and they didn't say a word :D

Gah! Called Toshiba today and I couldnt understand a damn word what the person was saying..I got the numbers down but where do I put them and do I just drop the package off at UPS? Do I need to include the address to the depot?

I give Toshiba support an F minus

It is possible to force the system fans on using a program called I8KFanGUI.

Google that and download the program.

You can have it just monitor temperatures, automatically run the fans at different policy levels, or always have the fans HIGH/LO, etc.

PM me if you have any further questions :beer:

It is possible to force the system fans on using a program called I8KFanGUI.

Google that and download the program.

You can have it just monitor temperatures, automatically run the fans at different policy levels, or always have the fans HIGH/LO, etc.

PM me if you have any further questions :beer:
If you read my other thread (no idea where it is) and my previous post, there is NO WAY to force the fans to full mode with any programs out there. Believe me, I looked EVERYWHERE. It is controlled by the motherboard (cpu and vga) and no one has written a program to do so. I'm sure it can be done, but no one has done it.

EDIT: 8kfanGUI is a graphical Windows application to show the internal temperatures and to control the fan operation on the Dell Inspiron 8000/8100/8200 notebook series and many other Dell notebooks. It's running under all current Windows versions (98/ME/NT4/2000/XP/Server2003).

For dells only ;)

I was tempted to take it apart again, disconnect the yellow wire and if that did not force fans to go full blast I was going to send the wires to the power source. But its ready to be shipped off Monday. Lady on the phone said 12 days turn around..HA! I said, 12 days when I get a call, and 12 more days when you look at it, additional 12 days to fix the problem and another 12 days to ship it back to me :p

Back