Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast
    10 Year Badge

DIY Low Cost Benching Station

Hi all,

Ever look at a HSPC benching station, and think to yourself, "I could make one of those!"

Well, I've decided to try and tackle this problem.

Navig's shot at the Do It Yourself Low Cost Benching Station.

navig

Very nice, I like it. I'll be doing something similar once I retire my first attempt at a custom case (the 2 foot tall thing ).
    Intel C2D e6400 @ 375MHz x8 = 3Ghz 1.328v, Gigabyte EP43-UD3L, 3GB DDR2, GeForce 9600GT, 73GB 15K SCSI HD/Adaptec 29160 SCSI Card, 750GB SATA Drive, 320GB ATA Drive, HDTV Tuner

D5 Pump Bonneville w/ AC Heater Core Gemeni Cooling Maze 4 Style Water Block

Sager 8690: Core i7 940XM Exreme 2.13GHz (3.2GHz Turbo), 4GB DDR3, GeForce GTX 285M 1GB, 15.6" 1080 LCD, 320GB 7200RPM HD

Difference Between D5 Revisions + flow mod Difference between NPSM & G1/4

Awesome! I should definitely build myself one one day...
    http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=59551
    STEELERS BABY
    IX
    X
    GOT 6? XIII
    XIV
    WE DO XL
    XLIII
    I.M.O.G.: I'm sorry to inform you that your sig violates forum rules. Due to obscene, and frankly ugly, choices of colors you must change this. I suggest brown and orange perhaps.
    lol JK... Congratulations on your season. Greetings from Cleveland, the home of "There's always next year".
    cw823: I think you need to edit your sig, this could finally be a year for a Cleveland team. Go Cavs!

Author Profile
    good stuff I've thought about it also...

Yeah its a very tempting idea.....bookmarked
    Last edited by Sam__; 09-23-07 at 06:16 AM.
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
    - Popular Mechanics, 1949

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
    - Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

Heatware Profile
    This is perfect timing, as I've just recently sat down to start working on something like this. Your skills far surpass mine though, going to keep an eye on this closely for pointers.
    Desktop: Intel i5-3570k - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H - Samsung DDR3-1600 8GB - Intel 520 240GB SSD - Sapphire HD 7870 Tahiti 2GB - Seasonic X650 Gold

I know there's no grand plan here. This is just the way it goes.
    Heatware

Underwater Senior Member
    10 Year Badge
    Quote Originally Posted by Navig View Post
    Hi all,

Ever look at a HSPC benching station, and think to yourself, "I could make one of those!"
    Yes, I have.
    http://home.wmis.net/~jberg/NewPutr3.jpg
    Copper pipe soldered together is also sturdier than theirs is (and for $25 in materials, it's far cheaper).

Why is it called a bench marking machine? Its just a computer sitting without a case.

Underwater Senior Member
    10 Year Badge
    It's not "benchmarking station", but benching station.
    A benching station is a machine you use to bench test computer hardware as would a review writer or repair person. It's ideal for plugging in a Joe Sixpack hardrive for removing virus' or recovering data.
    It's also nice if you happen to change things a lot.
    The open design is so that you don't have to balance a flashlight/screwdriver/harddrive/cables all with only 2 hands.

My current system is an open (case-less) design, but made entirely of fiberglass panels I laid in the garage. It's a µATX size,but holds all my hardware compactly.

Some people (like myself) get more fun from playing with the computer instead of on the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Diggrr View Post
    It's not "benchmarking station", but benching station.
    A benching station is a machine you use to bench test computer hardware as would a review writer or repair person. It's ideal for plugging in a Joe Sixpack hardrive for removing virus' or recovering data.
    It's also nice if you happen to change things a lot.

My current system is an open (case-less) design, but made entirely of fiberglass panels I laid in the garage. It's a ATX size,but holds all my hardware compactly.

Some people (like myself) get more fun from playing with the computer instead of on the computer.
    Agreed
    CoolerMaster 690
    Antec HCG 620w
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD4-B3 + i5 2500K
    Xigmatek Dark Knight S1283V w/crossbow
    G.Skill 8GB 1600
    MSI GTX 560ti 448 1280MB
    Corsair Nova 64GB SSD
    Windows 7 x64 HP SP1
    Corsair k60 & Logitech MX518
    BenQ RL2450H 24" 1080p
    http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=60834
    SteamID trm2006

Heatware Profile
    Isn't that the damn truth... I should find a cheaper hobby.
    Desktop: Intel i5-3570k - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H - Samsung DDR3-1600 8GB - Intel 520 240GB SSD - Sapphire HD 7870 Tahiti 2GB - Seasonic X650 Gold

I know there's no grand plan here. This is just the way it goes.
    Heatware

Author Profile
    I think any case (open or not) is a pain in the ass. Anything I mess with goes on my desk or on the shelf above my desk... But I have done things that look what you guys are doing... better than a case I guess.

10 Year Badge
    Its about convenience/access to components vs. structure.

I've run computers on my desktop too. But if you look at it, one accidental elbow and the powersupply falls off the desk....there goes thousands of dollars. Or with the size of heatsinks these days.... Or running watercooling on a desk...

Anyways, the original thread has been updated:

1) Minor Metal Working

2) PCI slot brackets

navig

LOL, this IS my cheap hobby... Well, ok, its my middle hobby in terms of costs.

Model Rockets... cheap
    PC's... not that bad
    CAR........... wait? why is all my money gone?

Not to thread jack... But this was my version of a cheap benching station. It might still be running, but I may have turned it off a month or two ago when I went back to school and left it in my basement. -- Low cost? how about free w/ a small scrap of wood.

I think I made a thread on it... Will edit link in soon.
    CPU i7-2600 Cooling CM 212+ w/ 2 fans RAM 4x4gb G.Skill DDR3 1333 Video 9800GT & 8600GT Storage 1TB Raid0 system & 2TB storage HEAT
    Folding User Stats

to be (corey)( --> )"quite" honest with you i dont like the design of it because you dont have much acess to your main components.. if you were to use extreme cooling for an example seems to me it would be rather hard to put ln2 into a pot
    on the other hand the last one you posted looks awesome and has all the components accessible
    nice work!
    Heat

Want to be a Benching Team Member? - Join the fray!

CM Stacker 830 | ASUS P6T Deluxe X-58| EVGA GTX 295 |Intel Core i7 920 @ 4ghz| Corsair HX1000 | Corsair Dominators 6GB DDR3 1600 | 2x Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB | RAZER Tarantula | RAZER Lachesis | DELL 3007 WFP-HC | Vista Ultimate 64Bit | SENNHEISER HD 280 PRO | Vapochill LS is here:)

you, sir, do some insane work.
    x2 5600 21/45 w/Tt ruby orb
    GB ga-m61p-s3
    2x512 + 2x2 ocz platinum 4-4-4-12
    seagate 'cudas 80gb + 500gb
    rosewill stallion 500w
    raidmax sagitta case
    powercolor HD3870 PCS

That makes sense I guess.

Author Profile
    Navig... thats insane If you were to sell a case like this, how much would it cost? btw: for my easy acess system: big long thick board, screws =

10 Year Badge
    Obviously, I can't really talk about cost, this not being the for sale section. If anyone is interested, I can be contacted by pm. If no one claims what I make by the time I'm done, I'll put them for sale on in the classifieds.

navig

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast