• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DIY Low Cost Benching Station

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Aja - It's as sturdy as you want engineer it. As currently engineered with simple screws and 1/2in MDF, you'll probably be able to sit on it. If I were to bolt thru instead of screw, you could probably stand on it, altho the 1/2in MDF might break thru in the middle. If I were to go with 3/4in MDF, you could probably stand and jump on it all day long.

Gangaskan - they do make an appearance in the original thread to approximate the size of a radiator.

Obviously, more details at the original thread, but here's the summary.

1. Make some plates:

Lumberrouted.jpg

2. Make some brackets:

Aluminumsquaretubewithbrackets.jpg

3. Make some stations:

Tubularframecomplete.jpg

Looks mahvelous.

Tell me though, what's all the extra room for? Setting meters and other various equipment up, or is that to set a dually rad/fan/pump? (even though the drawing shows air cooling being used).

I originally spec'd 2 versions, one Grande and one Chiquito. The Grande was specifically designed to hold the very large Thermochill PA 120.3 radiator lengthwise (430mm in length). The Chiquito was designed for air cooling or to hold a PA 120.2 rad. However, as the project went on, there didn't seem to be any interest in the smaller version. Anyway, one quick trip to the table saw, and a Grande can be converted into a Chiquito.

navig

Chiquito's....that's what Da Yoopers (band from Michigan's Upper Peninsula) call their ginormous mosquitoes. :D

Nice work though. I've been busy at the table saw for weeks, all the time wishing I had a nice router too.

Rock on! :thup:

The look and feel of plain mdf isn't so appealing. So I've added some trim tape and sealed it with water based polyurethane. Bonus, scratch proof coating.

Finishedsealer.jpg

I laid an unfinished piece of scrap board on top for comparison.

Alright the Lubic prototype is complete...and sold.

Lubiccomplete1.jpg

Lubiccomplete2.jpg

Lubiccomplete3.jpg

The buyer wasn't interested in an exhaust fan, so the pci bracket was simplified.

navig

If you haven't been by the original thread, there have been some updates.

Lvcoyote installed his system on the station:

Pics here.

Plus I started a complete walkthru on the build of my finalized design (station#3):

Starts with post#56.

navig

Well, I've completed Station#2 and Station#3, completing this project.

Twins_1.jpg

Station#2 (prototype) is on the left. And the final version (Station#3) is on the right.

Here are some pics of Station#3:

Station3completebrackets.jpg

Station3completeheadon.jpg

Station3completeleft.jpg

Station3completeback.jpg

Station3completeright.jpg

Both are officially for sale, I'll be putting an ad in the classifieds when I get to it.

Here are my take home points from this project:

1) Its pretty easy to make a fully functional (in many ways even more functional than the commercial product) open case with cheap junk from local hardware stores.

2) Its quite inexpensive, but does require some work.

3) At this point, if I had all the raw materials on hand, I could probably build Station#4 in about 3 days of dedicated time.

4) Learned a lot about putting aluminum and MDF together. I think for my next project I'll be building another frame from aluminum and MDF based on my testing station, but will also take the time to add back a plastic shell to build a full case.

navig

That turned out great, Navig. Not like I didn't think it would. Makes me wonder if I have the skill to build something like that and it not turn into a heap.

Back