• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DIY Low Cost Benching Station

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm home, uploading now :D

b0333eb4.jpg

2d57122f.jpg

6818a197.jpg

90bafdce.jpg

57bcccb2.jpg

b6291477.jpg

Looks great!

How many drives do you have under there?

I think the switching panel turned out nice. Also, I think its the best paint job I've done on these yet, but I really hate painting.

navig

Looks great!

How many drives do you have under there?

I think the switching panel turned out nice. Also, I think its the best paint job I've done on these yet, but I really hate painting.

navig
Yuppers, 5 drives ;)

3 in a matrix raid (left three), 135gig in raid 0, rest in raid 5. 175mb/sec :beer:

Alright, I've begun a new station. This one's for JamesXP, for his comment earlier on the thread:

aluminumtrim.jpg

Alright here's the latest pic of my new version: featuring full trim in aluminum.

Allaluminumtrim.jpg

Has a nice metal-meets-wood effect. Does bring up the costs a fair bit (over 10 feet of aluminum trim on there).

navig

Wow it looks amazing. I've been meaning to put aluminum trim on mine but I haven't had any spare time since school started :-/

Did you get the feet from mcmaster? If so what is the part number?

BUMP to the top baby!~

I just built my ghetto version of naviqs bench rig..well its 90 percent done..I gotta setup a decent switch panel, just using some bits ganked out of some tear downs...

Fully functional, I have to decide on the mounts and locations yet and style of mount for the hd and or optical cages..

Harder then it looks..I hate wood......

Built using solid red oak plank, quite rigid...clear coated only...

just took number 8 spot on the p4 board with this old rig..half busted...rofl..

mobo works fine, except for the pci slots....using a ten mb usb adapter sucks!

looks like a mini coffee table !

added top view pic...

temps are low....

Attachments

• benchrig 001 (Medium).jpg
    benchrig 001 (Medium).jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 1,687
  • benchrig 015 (Medium).jpg
    benchrig 015 (Medium).jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 1,677
Last edited:
i was actually plotting something similar for my bench. since budget is a major concern for me, my plan was to chop up several old cases and weld. perhaps after i make a nice enough mock up, i can truly make a custom setup using the canabalized set as kind of a pattern. i REALLY dig what you made and the possiblities in El Grande are endless, especially for a guy like me who may build/assemble PCs 4-5 times a month for other people. nice work :beer:

Thanks,

The DIY station continues to be on ongoing project (a lot of the development has moved over to the For Sale thread). I'm on my eighteenth build! One of my stations traveled the world and ended up working for the winning team for the Tomshardware overdrive overclocking competition.

Here are some various update pics.

On LN2 and winning the competition.

The ever popular Brollocks bracket:

Station6complete4.jpg

The new packing job: Pull out of the box, lift up the PCI bracket and you are ready to install!

Station7box.jpg

Station7flipup3.jpg

The Extreme cooler mods: Extra tall standoffs and behind-the-socket cutout with fan mount:

Station16complete3.jpg

And my latest creation: The triple level station:

Station17complete2.jpg

I've made enough that its almost just a design pathway in my mind--so customizations are pretty easy for me build in.

I have been taking a mini-hiatus completing my personal project--watercooled exoframe. But I will be resuming production of new stations shortly.

navig

As Always Looking Great there Navig,
I like the Design of the Tri Level, will be very beneficial to those for WC Benching, with the added room.

On average what are the finished dimensions of a benching station?

How hard are they to move once they have parts in them?

The typical sized station is 470mm x 380mm. The height to the top of the posts behind the PCI brackets is about 450mm. The height to the top of the first tier is about 250mm.

I ship with the PCI bracket folded down at the level of the top tier. In such a configuration, I ship in 16" x 20" x 12" boxes. The typical shipping weight is about 13 lbs.

How hard is it to move around?
Not sure what you are asking in this question.
1) Everything is hard mounted, so you don't have to worry about components falling off the station, except maybe for your loose DMMs.
2) There are no sides to protect your components, so random blows and kicks will hit your components. So I wouldn't recommend kicking around a benching station.
3) I can and have added handles. I can make custom plastic shells, if that is desired.
4) If you desire long distance cargo transporting, the point is, you ship the station without components in a box, and you ship all your components in their own boxes. When everything arrives at its destination, the beauty of my station is that you can go from my station in a box to ready for install in 1 minute, and then you can go from components to a running computer in 10.

The stations are sturdy and can be man-handled. For example, I once built a station for a tester who liked to test his heatsinks in both the horizontal and upright positions. So I merely added feet to one side of the station, and you can just reach out and flip it on its side, components installed and all:

th_Station9tipover.jpg

Try that with any other benching station out there!

navig

Last edited:
Back