• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I try my mobile c2d in my desktop?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

v8440

Hi all,

I have an e6300 in my desktop, and my laptop has also has a c2d in it. I can't remember the model name, but it's the one with a 2GHz default clockspeed. Is it worth trying the mobile chip in my desktop machine to see whether it will clock better?

Good LORD that was a fast reply! You must be invisible and standing behind me in my house!

Dang, I had no idea they would make mobile chips of the same family use a different socket.

Yeah, different socket, but I doubt you'd get more out of it than you would the e6300 anyways.

Oh well, it was a thought. The 6300 is doing pretty well, considering I have NO fans in the machine other than the video card fan, the tuniq tower fan, and the power supply fan. That will be remedied next week, but in the meantime I'm not pushing it too hard.

about the only way to use the mobile c2d is to get a mobo like my rig#2. there are a few others but you have to go looking for them. newegg use to have 4, 3 matx's,1 atx. ocing wasnt that great cause of the use of low power transistors. now there is a unlocked E7600g and one other just released a while ago for the new socket P. even the core solo @1.6ghz is faster then i thought it would be. i just need to come up with the money to get a 2.33ghz cpu for it, since its my backup box/folding box.

Back