• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bioshock & vista 64 ultimate

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rattle

I started playing this game in xp pro without issues, out of pure boredom and curiosity I wanted to see the game with dx10. I dont game much anyway so if anything vista is good for non gaming i figure....

the game even launch lmao. I get the little bioshock logo thing then black screen forever, I can ctrl-alt-dlt out of it though. No sound, no nothing.

I tried everything i could find on the web from different drivers to different compatability mode to having an icon in the games folder and everything else I could think of....

vista is the biggest POS lol all i wanna do is mess with this one damn game and I cant even do that.

Anyone know a cure or the cause ?

I believe it's your Video card drivers, they have ones that are updated to run bioshock in vista. I could be thinking of another game though. I have bioshock and vista ultimate 64 with no issues. Check my sig for my rig

Vista 32 bit worked fine with the demo, I imagine that Split71 is right and the issue is a lack of driver support for the 64 bit version.

yep tried the 3 newest betas .67, .69 and .71

will give that a shot when I get home from work thanks squash

Try right clicking on the exe file and see if it'll run in XP compatibility mode... not sure if this will cancel out DX10 though

Bioshock does work in Vista Ultimate 64bit perfectly fine.

I know theres been MANY issues with video drivers with this game in Vista so definatly check out the beta drivers or if you can find the Bioshock drivers from nVidia.

I believe it's your Video card drivers, they have ones that are updated to run bioshock in vista. I could be thinking of another game though. I have bioshock and vista ultimate 64 with no issues. Check my sig for my rig

Bioshock does work in Vista Ultimate 64bit perfectly fine.

I know theres been MANY issues with video drivers with this game in Vista so definatly check out the beta drivers or if you can find the Bioshock drivers from nVidia.

Seconded.

Bioshock runs on Vista 64 Ultimate just fine. I played it through to completion at max settings without a skip or bump.

No problems here with BioShock in Vista Buisness x64 (using Nvidia the beta drivers) . On a side note : If your using a Creative s/card (XFi) check/update the drivers ; as I had problems with that awhile back with no sound and would make the game load , but slooooowly .

No problems here with BioShock in Vista Buisness x64 (using Nvidia the beta drivers) . On a side note : If your using a Creative s/card (XFi) check/update the drivers ; as I had problems with that awhile back with no sound and would make the game load , but slooooowly .

Had a problem with that last week actually, not so much running slow it would only play selective sounds, even with the latest ones. Had to run compatibility mode to fix it. :(

I have tried everything posted here till I was blue in the face, only 1 thing left to try I havnt yet.

update !

installing the august direct x update is what did it.
kinda stupid on my part becuase I do that religously with xp and this was a fresh vista install.

now off to compare !

BTW vista seems much better these days with these newest nvidia drivers.

the plays great but I cant see my fps with fraps, it works with other things but not bioshock.

wierdness... maybe I need a newer version

the plays great but I cant see my fps with fraps, it works with other things but not bioshock.

wierdness... maybe I need a newer version

Get the latest version to start . Then ... Vista likes to "block" some start up programs that it does not "recognise" as official , so for you'll have to do a manuel start of fraps after any Vista startup or reboot . STUPID (Vista) ! Ive tried to unblock fraps (permanently) as a regular start up program , but Vista wont let me . :eh?: :cry: Bottom line the newer version(s) of Fraps works fine in Vista x32/x64 .

yeah i download the lastest and it fixed it.
vista makes me feel like such an ***, i wish i could kick its ***.
I have to be honest though, I cant really complain right now aside from the small bioshock issue that alot of people had.

Running firefox 2.0.0.7, windows media player 11. fraps is open, windows live messanger, coretemp, cpu-z, rivatuner and a pimped out sidebar with aero on and using over 1gb of mem lol. The rig feels snappy as hell though and I dont have alot of the glitchiness and hanging I always experienced in the past and this is a totally untweaked install. Not to crazy about the creative vista 64 drivers though for audigy 2zs, pretty limited and I wish i could shut off driver signing FOREVER but rememebering to f8 to shut it off on every boot isnt so bad I guess.

Back