• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dell + Vista

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deRusett

I got a New Dell insiron 1520

it has Vista on it, and I've been trying to get used it, and like it, now some things are pretty neat, BUT I can't get a game I really want to play to install, it was a primary reason for getting this lappy as I have another Lappy for work purposes.

WELL I am considering moving back to XP, on this Lappy BUT don't want to loose the chance to use Vista again if it gets a good Service pack or something to make it easier to have software work with it.

Anyway anyone know the steps I have to take to keep this OEM version of Vista off to the side?
the backup HDD partition installed could fit on a DVD can I burn it to that and still use the recovery CD provided by Dell? anyone done this? don't want to loose Vista in the event it becomes worth while to have

Did you get vista dvd with the system?

If dell didn't change anything, there should be restore image on the hard drive of the current system on separate partition.

Did you get vista dvd with the system?

If dell didn't change anything, there should be restore image on the hard drive of the current system on separate partition.

There is a Restore image, I want to know if I burn this restore image to a DVD can I use that HDD space?

Unless you image the entire drive I don't think it'll work. I would either leave the restore partition alone or wipe it out knowing a full reinstall from media would be needed.

should look like this. Its just a copy of Vista with Dell Label on it
DSCN0874.jpg

Dude you already got a recovery partition on your drive. just hit alt+ F11 (during boot up) and you will get the recovery partition section. just go install xp and Do NOT delete the vista recovery partition. Also the cool thing is that when you wanna format back into vista it will take about 5 minutes to finish cuz your loading an image off the same hard drive.

Dude you already got a recovery partition on your drive. just hit alt+ F11 (during boot up) and you will get the recovery partition section. just go install xp and Do NOT delete the vista recovery partition. Also the cool thing is that when you wanna format back into vista it will take about 5 minutes to finish cuz your loading an image off the same hard drive.

But that takes space from me to put music, pics etc.... I would rather have it on a disc.

wow i could have sworn i edited my post.....

the edit should have said, if you had a copy of ghost 12 you could just make a back up of the partition

Back