• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LCD myth?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

G-PHoRCe

I/?m geeting a new laptop (the z61m by IBM) with a cracked LCD. Only a part of the lcd is broken but the rest of it is OK.

The current broken LCD is a WSXGA+ and to replace it myself it would cost me $220 but note that the Z61p which is basicly the same model could be puchased with a WUXGA. A WUXGA would cost me $300 but i've been told by a Tech that it will not work properly and that other laptops went bad due to LCD modifications.

Until then, i thought that Laptop LCDs were just like desktop monitors. The z61m come with and ATI x1400 so is the z61p unless upgraded to the V5200 fire GL. They are the exact same enclosure motherboard and such and the only difference between the 2 is an bigger hard drive and faster CPU.

Did anyone ever upgraded a laptop LCD to another LCD of the smae model with an higher resolution?

im pretty sure it wont be compatible if you're changing to different resolution lcd, its not the video card, but the cable connectors from the lcd panel to the motherboard.

It is usually possible to switch one out in an otherwise identical laptop. I did it to a Dell Latitude XPi a few years back, going from a dual-scan to a TFT, and also once going to a larger screen on a Compaq Armada.

If you know for sure the two models are exactly alike except for the screen, and you can get ahold of the complete lcd assembly (it's essential that you also get the controller and inverter boards, which most assuredly will not be the same between the two panels), then it should work fine. But usually the replacement panel only includes the panel itself, and not the extras. Best bet is to swap out the entire lid of the laptop with one from a parts unit, as well as any accompanying circuitry that may be contained in the base. A good rule of thumb here is this: if you can't recognize what parts you need to swap, you shouldn't be doing the mod.

And this is all assuming that the controller circuitry isn't integrated on the motherboard, in which case you'd be SOL. I don't know IBM laptops too well, so I can't tell you one way or the other on that.

But, if you're adventurous, and you're willing to take the loss if you screw up and break something, then go for it.

Last edited:
Back