• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are Intel integrated graphics and 2GB of system mem enough for Aero?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

veryhumid

I'm putting together a laptop for my mom and I'm wondering if integrated graphics can run Aero without any hichups. All she needs is general surfing and productivity apps and 1440 x whatever. Is integrated going to cut it or do I need discrete?

Aero, as in the visual effects in Windows Vista. I don't have it, but I would assume as long as you had enough shared memory you should be fine.

Yes, sorry for not being totally clear. Aero is the name of the Vista interface that has transparency and effects that run off your graphics. Anyone with this setup on their laptop?

Depends on which Intel integrated chipset it is, pretty much any newish one will be fine, but if its a little older it might not. Aero doesn't work my my Inspirion's 915, but it works perfectly on my wife's Ati x1100 in her Acer.

Reguardless of the capabilities of your onboard video, Vista will determine whether or not it will run or not.

Stick with XP though... Vista is horrible IMHO.

Jordan

Depends on which Intel integrated chipset it is, pretty much any newish one will be fine, but if its a little older it might not. Aero doesn't work my my Inspirion's 915, but it works perfectly on my wife's Ati x1100 in her Acer.

The chipset dell offers is 950, I couldn't find any info at the intel site saying it supported vista, though.

*EDIT* ooops, I meant x3100. It seems this chips supports dx10, etc.

Reguardless of the capabilities of your onboard video, Vista will determine whether or not it will run or not.

Stick with XP though... Vista is horrible IMHO.

Jordan

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20050805045323.html

Performance is actually dependant on your onboard video. There is even a performance index score just for Aero.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
If you go to the Windows Vista homepage at Microsoft's site, there is a "Vista Upgrade Advisor" app that you can download that will tell you everything you need to know about system hardware and currently installed software compatibility with all versions of Vista.

That said, jdrake90 makes a good point; Vista is a resource hog. But it shore 'nuff does look purty. :p

B.

Back