• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory of C2D overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wyemarn

I just got myself a P35 board and looking foward to get a C2D to replace my Pent D. Currently I'm using 2 sticks of UMAX DDR2 PC5300 667mhz RAM. Currently the RAM is running at 338mhz(DDR675) at 4-4-4-12 1.9V. With C2Ds running at 1066 and 1333mhz FSB, I'm not sure my RAM could keep up with high FSB overclock. Do you guys think my RAM can run up to 400mhz or more? What voltage and CAS settings should I set it to? Or should I get C2D 4series with 800mhz FSB to play safe?

For 1333FSB you need a minimum of 667MHz RAM
For 1066FSB you need a minimum of 533MHz RAM

For an fsb of 400MHz you need a minimum RAM speed of 800MHz, so you will need better RAM for high FSB's.

Unless you can get your sticks to those speeds, but I doubt it...

Set your memory on a 4x multi and timings to 5-5-5-15. Raise your FSB to see how high your RAM will go... For 24/7 use I would not give them more than 2.1V or 2.2-2.3V with good cooling

I just got myself a P35 board and looking foward to get a C2D to replace my Pent D. Currently I'm using 2 sticks of UMAX DDR2 PC5300 667mhz RAM. Currently the RAM is running at 338mhz(DDR675) at 4-4-4-12 1.9V. With C2Ds running at 1066 and 1333mhz FSB, I'm not sure my RAM could keep up with high FSB overclock. Do you guys think my RAM can run up to 400mhz or more? What voltage and CAS settings should I set it to? Or should I get C2D 4series with 800mhz FSB to play safe?

Just to clarify - the default fsb a chip is rated at has very little effect on its overclocking capability. What is more important is what multiplier the CPU has.

What kind of overclock do you want on the CPU?

What motherboard are you using?

What PSU are you using?

Thanks for the reply guys. I'm planning to wait for the 45nm C2Ds and planning to go for the cheapest version of the 9 series. If I'm not mistaken, it has max 8x multiplier. I'm planning to go for at least 3Ghz+ since it can be done easily. I have Scythe Ninja Plus for my CPU cooling. I've upgraded my mobo to ASUS P5LD2 to MSI P35 Neo2-FR now. My PSU is Scythe Kamariki2 550W.

Currently my Pent D 930 is doing 270fsb at 4.05Ghz. Prime is stable. Yesterday I just tested by running my RAM at high divider, 1:1.5. This makes my RAM runs at 405mhz which resulting in 810mhz DDR. Voltage is 1.95V and the timings are 5-5-5-15. I can run at tighter timing too with higher voltage. Since my RAM are generic ones I don't have any cooling on them. I'm quite confident my RAM can run at DDR800 speed now with the right settings.

667 should have no problem running 800MHz. Whe nDDR2 first hit hte market the only differnce between 667 and 800 was the voltage.. (667 needed more volts to clock the same speeds as 800... both stopped overclocking at the saem points however).

Later, the 800 started going insane with 1000+ speeds being achieved which AFAIK 667 does not so.

So get a decent multiplier (like a 9 or 10) and you should be fine with those sticks

Thanks for the advice guys. I will try to go higher by tweaking mobo voltage and etc. Meanwhile do you guys think I should wait for Wolfdale C2D 8 series coming out next Jan?

Back