• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need input on a new build.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

messiah33

Hello all, this is my first time building a new system from scratch. I'm a gamer, and i plan to overclock eventually when I will need it for future games. I know a fair bit but not enough, thats why im here. I'm just going to list everything I have and questions about each thing if I have any. Everything here is subject to change, I would like things to stay around the same price but any input is welcome so that I have more options. This is just my base, though I do think that it is pretty stable. Anyways, here it goes...

Case: Antec nine hundred

Video Card: evga 8800GTX

Processor: Intel core 2 duo E6850
I'm kida thinking of a Q6600 but I have no idea about quad core processors and their compatabilty with other programs, games, and hardware.

CPU Heatsink: Zalman CNPS9500-LED

Mobo: Evga nForce 680i SLI Motherboard A1
I'm not really sure about this one I'm looking at a abit p35 pro too. Does it matter if I get a 680i or p35?

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 350gb 7500rpm
I was originally planning on getting 2 36gb raptors but I figured that it wont really affect gaming (only load times) plus this single HD is 200$ cheaper.

PSU: OCZ GameXStream 700w

Monitor: Acer AL2216WBD 22IN Widescreen
Lately I have been hearing alot about the Samsung SyncMaster 225BW good and bad. The different LCD panels scare me but I keep hearing that it doesn't really matter just as many time as I hear it does matter. I plan to use the DVI input fro my computer and the VGA input for my xbox 360. Does anyone know what one looks best with the xbox 360? I wana know all I can about these 2, preferably personal experiance but anything will help.

The xbox 360 brings me into my next part... Soundcard. I originally had a Creative X-fi but it doesn't have a optical input that I want to hook my xbox 360 up to so that I dont have to keep changeing my speakers everytime I wana play either one. I want the sound to run from the 360 through the soundcard via optical and out my speakers. This is really confusing for me because I heard lots of soundcards dont do that because its mostly used for recording. So im looking at 2 other ones... ASUS Xonar D2 and the AuzenTech X-FI Prelude. The prelude looks best to me so far because its made for gaming and had really good sound for movies and music which I plan to use the computer for alot aswell.. but I cant find any info on using either of these cards optical input to use with my 360. Please help with this lol.

Which brings me to the last thing, my ram OCZ Platinum XTC 4gb(4x1gb) PC2-6400 DDR2-800 CL 4-5-4-18. I hear alot about 2gb or 4gb and vista 64 bit and 32 bit. I'm sure that 4gb still has an advantage over 2gb even in 32 bit vista because it shows 3gb-3.5gb on most peoples systems I hear. This is my last issue, 64-bit or 32-bit of windows vista. I read so many good and bad on these its just striaght out confusing. I head that lots have no problem with 64 bit but equally as many people have problems with it. Will I be fine with 32 bit for a year and upgrade later? or would I be fine with 64-bit right now?

I hope this all made sence to all of you. I'm just so puzzled with some of this and I hope that you all can help me out. Just provide me with the solutions, subtitutions, and Info. Thanks for your time.

Any reason you want a dualcore?

I'd suggest the quadcore.

Q6600
Get a new reasonably priced X38 mobo with DDR2 ram.
for ram: get ddr2 4x1 ddr 800 crucial ballistix
+1 for 8800GTX
psu, i'd change it to a corsair 620HX

Any reason you want a dualcore?

I'd suggest the quadcore.

Q6600
Get a new reasonably priced X38 mobo with DDR2 ram.
for ram: get ddr2 4x1 ddr 800 crucial ballistix
+1 for 8800GTX
psu, i'd change it to a corsair 620HX

QFT.

Q6600, or the e6750 (good bang for your buck)

Hrm, I am building a similar system but mine is based on AMD.

With the Antec 900 you install the psu on the bottom, I'm sure you know this. With that psu, you'll have the connections coming out of the same side that the window is on.

Some people care about that, some don't, just wanted to mention it.

EDIT- In addition. I would check on Vista as to make sure that they are having all the drivers that you need. Also be sure that Vista is supporting all the software you plan to run...especially the x64. To me it doesn't seem like the developers are ready for Vista yet, that's why I haven't upgraded to it yet.

CC.

Back