• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3 Core Phenom is real

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'd prefer that the 3 core chips aren't 4 core rejects but that the extra core was disabled by design or a designed triple core. That would give me more confidence in the longevity and performance of said triple core.

I also think the price should reflect a price per core average at the very least. If the triple core was half of a quad, that would make it even more attractive for us and system builders.

It's all about the bang for the buck baby!

Not the brand names ;)

I think it would help if one of the cores was gone. That is a potential weakest link that is gone.

I hope you aren't serious with this statement

The benches should reveal how much they benefit from being native and first quarters will show how economical it is, hopefully it has some truth behind it I can't wait to see their 3Q results. :santa:

It is too early not even gamers need 3 core at the moment, so for Joes ehh Sempron and Celeron all the way especially with dual celerons.
It might be useful when softwares support it but by the time it becomes necessary probably will be better to get a quad, of course gonna be interesting to see the celeron sempron battles with different number of cores.

The benches should reveal how much they benefit from being native and first quarters will show how economical it is, hopefully it has some truth behind it I can't wait to see their 3Q results. :santa:

It is too early not even gamers need 3 core at the moment, so for Joes ehh Sempron and Celeron all the way especially with dual celerons.
It might be useful when softwares support it but by the time it becomes necessary probably will be better to get a quad, of course gonna be interesting to see the celeron sempron battles with different number of cores.

I would see a benefit on several titles that are now running dual threads by giving the OS that spare core to keep the other two free of housekeeping duties that normally cause those annoying skips. The biggest one if background updates torch off at midnight right in the middle of a battle.

It doesn't matter if it isn't the "correct" way if it's still faster.

"By regulating the speed at which each core operates, AMD could conceivably sell a triple-core chip that has higher performance metrics than one of its own quad-core chips, said Insight 64 analyst Nathan Brookwood."

Well at first I thoughyt DUH triple core? Ridiculous... reading that... I still think triple core is ridiculous, but the ability to clock each core independently is aweseom and would be a real boon to the user.

Now what I think a triple core should be used for?

A regular old dual core CPU with an additional one core dedicated as a physics processor.

bingo

and that will be the day I move off a dual core, when they start using one for physics, which I thought they were sposed to do since the ageia addon physics cards never took off and I hope it never does because I dont want another card in my MOBO I would rather have a cpu do it.

Last edited:
That is what I thought they were doing with quad core as it was stated in earlier models of barcelona. They had the each core clock seperatly on the road map. Too bad it is not the case for phenom because it would definately add in versatility to its processors and redefine overclocking or core usage in general which would have been something most appealing to those who want greater control over their system. Ohh well.

It doesn't matter if it isn't the "correct" way if it's still faster.

What is correct ?
If you mean the two quad design, both archs has it's advantages, eventually Intel choose their for better yields as they already had the upper hand in performance AMD needed more power for a comeback, and hopefully they manage proove their native quad is faster clock for clock at least.

Two different approach neither of them is incorrect, AMD plans to manufacture it's future processors ( 8 core and fusion ) just as Intel manufactures them now as multi chip and Intel makes similar arch.

Unless AMD can produce these chips at damn competitive pricing without running low on supply which I highly doubt then these chips aren't going to be much for competition. Intel has been producing Quad chips for a year now and as new tech comes out, the current quads will just drop in price. No reason at all for Intel to even consider a 3 core chip when they have sufficient supply of quads to get rid of. AMD simply does not have as much stock as Intel.

Regardless if Conroe's are still using the P4 Buss, they are outmatching the AM2 X2 lineup. Regardless how the Quads aren't true quads, they are at least available and have been for a whole year now meanwhile AMD has nothing besides Barcelona which was only recently released. The Q6600 has been $300 or less since July and AMD will answer at Q1 2008 when they finally release their mainstream Quads. That's a good 6 month apart just for entry level quad not to mention high end quad.

I think the main thing that will save AMD is the longevity factor of the Phenom X4 on an AM2 socket. If it doesn't provide a great loss of performance since HT will be limited to 1ghz and DDR2 800mhz only then anyone that upgrades to the newer chip using their existing AM2 mobo will pay off.

Last edited:
Unless AMD can produce these chips at damn competitive pricing without running low on supply which I highly doubt then these chips aren't going to be much for competition. Intel has been producing Quad chips for a year now and as new tech comes out, the current quads will just drop in price. No reason at all for Intel to even consider a 3 core chip when they have sufficient supply of quads to get rid of. AMD simply does not have as much stock as Intel.

Regardless if Conroe's are still using the P4 Buss, they are outmatching the AM2 X2 lineup. Regardless how the Quads aren't true quads, they are at least available and have been for a whole year now meanwhile AMD has nothing besides Barcelona which was only recently released. The Q6600 has been $300 or less since July and AMD will answer at Q1 2008 when they finally release their mainstream Quads. That's a good 6 month apart just for entry level quad not to mention high end quad.

I think the main thing that will save AMD is the longevity factor of the Phenom X4 on an AM2 socket. If it doesn't provide a great loss of performance since HT will be limited to 1ghz and DDR2 800mhz only then anyone that upgrades to the newer chip using their existing AM2 mobo will pay off.

i couldn't agree with you more man, intel is long past even thinking of a tri core processor... hell they were probably laughing their asses off when they heard amd announce they were makeing TRI cores...

i could see it now
Intel exec - hey guys you hear that amd is going to be making tri cores
Intel employee - wow they are going to come out with quad cores
exec - no tri core
employee - haha dude thats a great joke
exec - its not
LAUGHS ALL ROUND lol.

and who cares if intels quads arnt "TRUE" quads, they still outpreforme the competition...

sorry amd fanboys but its the truth, and the truth hurts sometimes. :bang head

although i still have a place in my heart for the 939 socket, that socket was kick ***

i couldn't agree with you more man, intel is long past even thinking of a tri core processor... hell they were probably laughing their asses off when they heard amd announce they were makeing TRI cores...

i could see it now
Intel exec - hey guys you hear that amd is going to be making tri cores
Intel employee - wow they are going to come out with quad cores
exec - no tri core
employee - haha dude thats a great joke
exec - its not
LAUGHS ALL ROUND lol.

and who cares if intels quads arnt "TRUE" quads, they still outpreforme the competition...

sorry amd fanboys but its the truth, and the truth hurts sometimes. :bang head

although i still have a place in my heart for the 939 socket, that socket was kick ***
LOL ( "I could see it now")
Somewhere in AMD
I heard Intel is coming out with a netburst chips again.
No that was in the Pentiums.
No, serious they are talking multithreading cores.
Sounds like netburst redux, "Itaniconroe".
BA-ha-ha-ha.

I'm not sure how many quad Neha's intel will throw away due to a single faulty core but when AMD rips them a new one they will have to do more than lay off another 2000. I'm sure you will see core-treo next year.
939 opened, the door, AM2 opened the windows and is where I've seen my best builds. Now it's time to blow out the walls.

Last edited:
I believe any amount of cores are useful for people who need them. Like it's been said, the more the merrier. If you're complaining about how the tri core doesn't fit in since they could just stick with a dual or go with a quad, you don't really understand how it could be beneficial in price and energy output. I think it's good the user gets to have more choices in how much they want to spend, and how much they have to cool.

LOL @ nd4spd & AC. Some good clean fanboyish mudslinging going on right there. Carry on!

LOL

Agreed! Even us CPU mercenary...don't give a rip who made the CPU types can enjoy this party. :)

Well the thing is Intel can make tri core if they want but they dont need to because their quads at low end hit LOWER than the prices of the High End duals. With quads under the belt for a year they can afford to make quads just as valuable as duals are this year next year with cutting prices on the low end quads which will make tricore a no contender in the mid to high end market which intel will occupy with series of quads. However in the lowest end of the market tri will sell pretty well. If they are defects then AMD is just making back money loss while gaining market share in low end sales. It really is how they market it. Like others have said tri can be very good low end alternative machine for folding HTPC, an EE machine if TDP is lowered which can lead to more silent machines or very compact systems and a great market for small oem built systems compared to common tower builds.Anyhow it is a good move if in fact they are defects but even better if they are promoted in those areas where intel will not step into with such an offering. It really depends how efficient and cool they can run.

LOL @ nd4spd & AC. Some good clean fanboyish mudslinging going on right there. Carry on!

lol cmon u kno you got a good laugh outta it... I personly hope the tri core or some other amd offering brings some SERIOUS competition to intel across the board, as there really has been NO competition against intel ever since the C2D came out, and if this continues i think we will c intel get lazy and greedy which would suck big time.

I am partial to intel, cus well they have better performing stuff As of now (ask me 2 yrs ago when a64 was rulling, and i would have told you i was seriously considering a x2 4400 and dfi ultra d)... but im DEFINETLY rooting for amd.

Yeah, I'm not so much worried about AMD being competitive performance wise, except that I AM worried about them making money. I want them to get a cash cow, and quick. That basically comes down to performance for the most part mind you.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm not so much worried about AMD being competitive performance wise, except that I AM worried about them making money. I want them to get a cash cow, and quick. That basically comes down to performance for the most part mind you.

LOL I always thought it was a cash tree :D

jonspd

Back