• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

** Can I use a laptop restore CD to install Windows on a desktop? **

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Revivalist

** Can I use Vista DVD that came with my laptop to install Vista on my desktop? **

I just bought a Gateway laptop that came with Windows Vista Ultimate. I figured I could just use the DVD that it came with to install Vista on my desktop computer as well. . . .

I got the correct floppy disk drivers for installing Vista on my system (see system specs below in my sig). The install was working fine, however, right near the end of the installation I get the message

"Setup could not configure windows to run on this computer's hardware"

I tried a few times and got the same error. I was wondering if it's because I'm using the DVD from a gateway laptop. I did find however, that I could install WindowsXP and upgrade it to Vista using the DVD from the Gateway laptop. Should I just go with that? Is there any advantage to doing a "clean" install of Visita versus installing XP and then upgrading to Vista? . . . . So I guess I have two questions. . . .

1. Is the Vista DVD not allowing a clean install because it was meant for a Gateway laptop, or am I probably just missing some drivers or something?

2. Does it matter (as far as performance) if I install XP on a blank drive and then upgrade to Vista versus if I do a "clean" install of Vista?

Thanks for any help. :)

Last edited:
1. Correct, it was made for the laptop.
2. No, as it just moves the old windows to a folder and overwrites everything.

Secondly, don't steal software like that ;)

I think it is against the rules.

1) The install has a bios check. If it doesn't match, then it's a no-go. In XP it will install but it won't activate. Vista could be different.

2) Unless you have a separate (for the desktop) Vista Ultimate key and are just using a different media to install, then it's not a legit setup. It won't work and it won't activate; don't bother.

Back