Premium Member #1

Can a dead CMOS battery cause no post??

Quote Originally Posted by a useless website
    You might also need to replace your CMOS Battery as well. Make sure it is seated well on the motherboard. If you CMOS battery is not installed correctly or it needs to be replaced the system will not boot at all. No fans, no power (sometimes you see limited power such as a dimmed hdd light.)
    I have an old 865PERL I am attempting to resurrect. Upon attempting to power it on I get no fan spinnage, ONLY the standby light on the mobo is active. I know the PSU is good (400w generic).

I have taken out the CPU, RAM, & Video card, but no power/post. Is it really possible the CMOS battery is causing a no post??
    "The only solid piece of scientific truth about which I feel totally confident is that we are profoundly ignorant about nature...It is this sudden confrontation with the depth and scope of ignorance that represents the most significant contribution of 20th century science to the human intellect."
    -Lewis Thomas, The Medusa and the Snail

"The best definition we have found for civilization is that civilized man does what is best for all, the savage does what is best for himself."
    -Edwin Hubble

H.E.A.T
    MarioKart FID-0774-5798-8330

10 Year Badge
    Heatware Profile
    I've had this happen to me once before. CMOS batteries usually last a long time, but turns out I had a dud one a couple years ago and once I replaced it, everything was hunky dory
    ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

*Main Rig-*i7 920 D0 @ 4.2Ghz (1.17v), ASUS Rampage II Extreme, 12 GB Patriot DDR3 1600, ATI HD5970 @ 775/1100, SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer, OCZ Revo X2 Drive SSD, 500GB, 1TB SATA, PCP&C Silencer 750W , D5 pump, Thermochill PA 120.3 w/ 3 Yate Loon Mediums, Swiftech Apogee XT, Lian-Li PC-G75, ASUS VW226H 25.5", Logitech Z-5300e THX 5.1 Speakers

My Massive PC Cleaning Thread!

Heatware |
    If the Army and the Navy Ever look on Heaven's scenes, They will find the streets are guarded By United States Marines. OoRah!

Benching Profile Heatware Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave1685 View Post
    I've had this happen to me once before. CMOS batteries usually last a long time, but turns out I had a dud one a couple years ago and once I replaced it, everything was hunky dory
    same here

never happen to me but ive heard of other people having this problem
    Rich
    mb rampage 2 extreme
    cpu i7 920do
    ram kingston 1600 3x1gig
    video ati 4890 1gig
    ps corsair 750tx
    cooler venomous x push pull
    hd.s 2xwd raptors in raido
    case cm. storm sniper

My Heatware

Premium Member #1
    Thanks guys. Will give it a shot tonight.

Always thought the CMOS battery was just for settings and could not cause an actual post problem. Hopefully this solves it.
    "The only solid piece of scientific truth about which I feel totally confident is that we are profoundly ignorant about nature...It is this sudden confrontation with the depth and scope of ignorance that represents the most significant contribution of 20th century science to the human intellect."

"The best definition we have found for civilization is that civilized man does what is best for all, the savage does what is best for himself."
    -Edwin Hubble

H.E.A.T

10 Year Badge
    I upgrade too frequently to run the battery dead. Never had a dud either.
    Main System:.................................................. ......................Second System:
    DFI BloodIron P35-T2RL w/ Q6600 GO@ 3.2 (9x360), 1.4v....DFI Ultra-D w/Opteron 170 @ 2.7
    G.skill 4GB (2x2gb).................................................. ..............G.Skill Extreme 2GB (2x1gb)
    HIS 4850 680/1108.................................................. .............Nvidia 7600GT
    WD VRaptor 300gb/Seagate 1TB..........................................Raptor 74gb/Seagate 200gb
    OCZ GameXtreme 600SLI

Premium Member #1
    The new battery didnt work. This board 'es croaked.

-Edwin Hubble

H.E.A.T

10 Year Badge
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave1685 View Post
    Yep. One of the symptoms may be a BSOD out of the blue!

With my Soyo SY-K7VTA-B motherboard, the BIOS acted like the floppy disk drive cable wasn't connected then after part of Windows started loading, I gotten ***STOP:0x0000007B INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE

Then I decided to change the CMOS battery, because that motherboard is at least 6 years old!

And since I changed the CMOS battery, I have yet to see those symptoms again.
    Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 11-07-07 at 05:16 PM.
    Asus Maximus II Gene- Core 2 Quad Q6600 SLACR @ 3.3 Ghz (367x9.0)

Where I come from "Z97" is a radio station
    -ICH10R
    - eVGA GeForce GT 640-Antec VP-450

" holy cow!! you find a rat in there too!?!?!? " -turbohans
    "Reinstall winders." -jivetrky
    "I think I am going to need another coke before I start this up." -cadman420
    "Soon Windows will be 50 gb! lololol" -Tokae
    "NOT FOR SALE IN CALIFORNIA."