• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can a dead CMOS battery cause no post??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chawks2

a useless website said:
You might also need to replace your CMOS Battery as well. Make sure it is seated well on the motherboard. If you CMOS battery is not installed correctly or it needs to be replaced the system will not boot at all. No fans, no power (sometimes you see limited power such as a dimmed hdd light.)

I have an old 865PERL I am attempting to resurrect. Upon attempting to power it on I get no fan spinnage, ONLY the standby light on the mobo is active. I know the PSU is good (400w generic).

I have taken out the CPU, RAM, & Video card, but no power/post. Is it really possible the CMOS battery is causing a no post??

I've had this happen to me once before. CMOS batteries usually last a long time, but turns out I had a dud one a couple years ago and once I replaced it, everything was hunky dory :)

Thanks guys. Will give it a shot tonight. :thup:

Always thought the CMOS battery was just for settings and could not cause an actual post problem. Hopefully this solves it. :thup:

I've had this happen to me once before. CMOS batteries usually last a long time, but turns out I had a dud one a couple years ago and once I replaced it, everything was hunky dory :)

Yep. One of the symptoms may be a BSOD out of the blue!

With my Soyo SY-K7VTA-B motherboard, the BIOS acted like the floppy disk drive cable wasn't connected then after part of Windows started loading, I gotten ***STOP:0x0000007B INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE

Then I decided to change the CMOS battery, because that motherboard is at least 6 years old!

And since I changed the CMOS battery, I have yet to see those symptoms again.

Last edited:
Back