• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computation Error???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Automata

Destroyer of Empires and Use
I keep getting tons of computation errors in BOINC.

91ad7bf6.jpg

I am running my main system (in sig) with the core2 optimized client. Is this normal or do I have something messed up?

It finishes a few of them, but most run for 0 or 1 second before going on to the next one...

(I'm helping you guys with the race :D)

Thanks,
Thideras

I would "guess" it's an overclocking issue. try to back down the clock speed a bit and see if it still doing that?
Well, if it did it for every single one then I would suspect that, but why does it complete 2-5 out of the 20 that fail??? :confused:

I just recently had to up my vcore because I was getting bsod's. I'll start orthos right now (over the internet) and see how it does once I get back. I'll keep you updated.

Thideras

20 mins in so far (Small FFT's) and no problems. If it was a computation problem, it would fail right away, no?

Small FFTs do not test ram at all, everything fits in the cache. If it passes that, it's not likely to be a cpu issue. You can continue to run that for a while, but you'll have to run memtest86+ to complete stability testing. The Balanced setting in Prime 95 tests ram but not quite as much as memtest86+.

Small FFTs do not test ram at all, everything fits in the cache. If it passes that, it's not likely to be a cpu issue. You can continue to run that for a while, but you'll have to run memtest86+ to complete stability testing. The Balanced setting in Prime 95 tests ram but not quite as much as memtest86+.
LOL, funny you mention that. I ran memtest+86 for well over 12+ hrs, no error.

It did 49 complete passes with no issue. :D

I'll kill it and run blended.

Aaaaaaaand.....

20 minutes and no issues. I don't think this is a stability issue.

This is a set up issue, only. Your rig is fine. I had the same thing.

I've been so sleepless and stressed from all this fire stuff, I've completely forgotten what the *bleep* I did that fixed it.

Let me ponder it a bit. OK!

I had to delete the optimized SETI client, because I couldn't get it to change over to my new account name, maybe my fault, but it kept using my old account.

So I loaded SETI back up, but this time I just had the normal, un-optimized SETI client. It ran fine, but I found I really needed that optimized client!

When I re-loaded that optimized client, I forgot to put the "3 files", into the proper sub-directory, (put them in the main BOINC directory).

That's when I got zillions of "computation errors" after 1 second each of processing. :(

To fix it, IIRC, I retrieved the "3 files", and put them into the setiathome.berkley.edu, subdirectory, and deleted those same "3 files", from the BOINC directory.

So check your "3 files" location. I also adjusted several config and preferences at this time, but I don't believe they had anything to do with this error.

Last edited:
I'll bet a Q6850 that you're running vista :santa:

I had the same exact problem, and upgrading to this new client fixed everything. It is also apperantly ~5% faster than Chicken's 2.4 app.

Youll need the 2.4V client by Crunch3r, Lemme look for it...

Here: http://calbe.dw70.de/seti.html
Yes, I am running Vista. But I have the newest client (just got it this weekend).

Well if you are using the vista compatible crunch3r app did you maybe download the 64bit app for a 32bit system?

Definitely your rig though, I checked some of those errored results (assuming you have the e6400 @ 3.4Ghz running Vista under the ocfolders user) and other people have completed some of them successfully.

Well if you are using the vista compatible crunch3r app did you maybe download the 64bit app for a 32bit system?

Definitely your rig though, I checked some of those errored results (assuming you have the e6400 @ 3.4Ghz running Vista under the ocfolders user) and other people have completed some of them successfully.
I have the 32bit one ;)

I know my computer is rock solid stable. I've already done stability tests for today ;)

happend on my laptop right after I added the optimized client, did it for 30 or so and now is crunching fine let it go through them and get new work

happend on my laptop right after I added the optimized client, did it for 30 or so and now is crunching fine let it go through them and get new work
Hehe, the reason I posted this is because it has been doing it since Saturday ;)

That would normally point to:
1. Wrong optimized client
2. Unstable overclock
3. Defective ram

I have had to reduce my overclock a bit to solve the problem you describe, and have had to rma defective ram to solve the problem before.
1. I think we have a winner.
2. I let it run orthos for a couple hours small fft's, didn't hit an issue.
3. 49 passes of Memtest +86 isn't enough? :eh?: It ran for like....18 hours.

I think it is number one because it fails right away not 10-15 mins into it. If my cpu or ram was so unstable that it would fail within a second, then I wouldn't be able to run Windows or play any games as of now. ;)

Can someone point me to the correct client, I have a Core2 running Vista 32bit since I guess I fail when it comes to reading :p

Thanks,
Thideras

I had this problem recently and I couldn't fix it either until I completely removed BOINC (including the program folder), and did a fresh install. I think you may have used the wrong optimization ;)

Back