• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fixboot and fixmbr?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Foolios

What is the difference between them?
Anytime I read that a person should use them to fix their boot problems, the very next post indicates that this could actually make things worse.
What gives?

Thanks in advance.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=fixboot+fixmbr

FIXBOOT
fixboot drive name:
Use this command to write the new Windows boot sector code on the system partition. In the command syntax, drive name is the drive letter where the boot sector will be written. This command fixes damage in the Windows boot sector. This command overrides the default setting, which writes to the system boot partition. The fixboot command is supported only on x86-based computers.

FIXMBR
fixmbr device name
Use this command to repair the MBR of the boot partition. In the command syntax, device name is an optional device name that specifies the device that requires a new MBR. Use this command if a virus has damaged the MBR and Windows cannot start.

Warning This command can damage your partition tables if a virus is present or if a hardware problem exists. If you use this command, you may create inaccessible partitions. We recommend that you run antivirus software before you use this command.

You can obtain the device name from the output of the map command. If you do not specify a device name, the MBR of the boot device is repaired, for example:
fixmbr \device\harddisk2
If the fixmbr command detects an invalid or non-standard partition table signature, fixmbr command prompts you for permission before rewriting the MBR. The fixmbr command is supported only on x86-based computers.

In short, fixboot repairs only the boot info in the master table, while fixmbr will try to repair all data in that master record (essentially all the important 'where stuff is' documentation on your hard drive - much more dangerous command and I rarely use it).

THank you. But you have used fixboot with success?

Very much. But it usually means there's something deeper going on that caused the boot record to get corrupted. Sometimes a dying hard drive, sometimes a virus.

I've never made matters worse using fixboot. I have made things very bad (once, which is all it takes) using fixmbr and losing the entire boot partition. That was a data recovery from hell.

which one to actually use depends on what you're fixing. All windows versions use a similar mbr, they place the system specific code in the partition's boot sector. So for example, if vista was installed and you want to get rid of its boot loader, fixboot is the one that does the real job.

if linux was installed, fixmbr is the one to use (linux most times has its loader installed in mbr)

Very much. But it usually means there's something deeper going on that caused the boot record to get corrupted. Sometimes a dying hard drive, sometimes a virus.

I've never made matters worse using fixboot. I have made things very bad (once, which is all it takes) using fixmbr and losing the entire boot partition. That was a data recovery from hell.
hi'
I'm in :bang head
still have Lnux safe ;
but my xp/vista is gone ...
Linux sees the partition, but for an onbscure reason the Xp partition turns to be hidden :confused:

still on it for while, until, I blow up some fuses and make a clean reinstall after a zero fill ...

geek's life ;)

i686

Boot sector vs MBR (Master Boot Record) :

A single physical drive or raid volume can have more than one partitions (Partition = "Logical" drive). Every partition has it's own boot sector, e.g. if your drive has 3 partitions then you have 3 boot sectors at each partition.

A single physical drive or raid volume can only have a single MBR, since it is where all those partitions info are recorded like which partition is active, or it's type, or which one to boot from, hence its called "Master". ;)

You can obtain the device name from the output of the map command. If you do not specify a device name, the MBR of the boot device is repaired, for example:
fixmbr \device\harddisk2
If the fixmbr command detects an invalid or non-standard partition table signature, fixmbr command prompts you for permission before rewriting the MBR. The fixmbr command is supported only on x86-based computers.

I'm trying to learn how to use the fixboot and fixmbr commands. If I were going to fix the MBR on my c: drive what would I enter for the device name and the harddisk? Thank You.

Back