• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! Loud screeching

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Comodo

Ok im just trying to overclock my CPU a little bit...nothing extreme.
Its an AMD 3800+ x2, When I try to get up to 2.2+, upon restart and windows loads all the sound comes out as a very high pitched Screeching sound. System doesnt crash or anything or hangs but all the sound gets wasted. Im useing a X-fi sound card.

This happens wether i OC from Bios or from AI Booster. im taking the FSB from 200 on up, leaving multipliers the same at x10 and no Voltage changes.

Any clues would be greatly appreciated!! ty

:mad:

System Specs

AMD 3800+ x2 Manchester 939
Asus A8N-32 SLI
EVGA 8800 GTS 640mb
WD 74gig HD
Antec Truepower 2.0 550W
X-fi sound blaster
2 gig Corsair XMS Plat

It sounds like a power supply issue. Can you get a hold of another one?

Where is the sound coming from???

:welcome: to the forums!! :D :D

its actually comming out of the speakers...all voltages and what not are holding steady where they should be.

what about the cpu fan header? if one isnt plugged in the alarm will sound cause the rpm on the fan is below what i can monitor.

Did you test you system for stability? It might not hang or BSOD but an instable system will cause drivers to go funky which could be causing that. I notice when my system is on the "edge" of being unstable the graphic drivers are usually the first to go while the rest of the system may appear to be working just fine. Now granted I have been out of the scene for a little while and Im still messing with a single core athlon64 3100+ symptoms seem to be pretty steady from what I've been reading through out OC history between platforms.

As stated above checking your PCI bus would be a good suggestion. I believe the A8N has a PCI lock on it but some times Asus is funky too. A 1 mhz difference on the PCI bus can cause very strange things to happen. This plauged us way back in the day of the P2's and P3's when systems didn't have dividers, much less bus locks for the PCI and AGP bus.

no, I have been unable to locate this option in bios....seems i can change the frequency but not lock it. Also im not the most knowledgable OC'r by a long shot...its possible im just overlooking it...is there a setting to focus on?

ill check again and note all my appearent options.

Thx for all the feedback!! this forum pwns :)

no, I have been unable to locate this option in bios....seems i can change the frequency but not lock it. Also im not the most knowledgable OC'r by a long shot...its possible im just overlooking it...is there a setting to focus on?

ill check again and note all my appearent options.

Thx for all the feedback!! this forum pwns :)

If it has an option to change it then there is mostly likely a lock on it. It used be be in the old days you couldn't change the dividers or lock the other buses as I previously mentioned. Then as hardware evolved and the manufacturers realized that overclocking was a wanted option with enthusiasts they started including the ability to just simply lock the other buses at there stock frequency. Back in the old days when you changed the FSB it in turn also changed the AGP and PCI bus frequency as the system used a universal multiplier for all buses in the system. Locking the buses enabled you to push the FSB higher without the PCI bus limiting you. Once the PCI bus hits around 35 mhz it becomes highly unstable all though I used to get the bus up to 41 mhz when I was lucky without problems. This later evolved from a simple lock on the bus to being able to out right change the frequency. Thus those settings you saw also act as a "lock". It may be confusing a little when first starting out but when you set a certain frequency for the PCI bus (or agp for the few people like me that still use them around here) you lock it at the specific frequency. The buses are no of days seperated by default and you can change it's frequency individually.

Anyway to the point in with all that jargon is if you have an option to change the PCI bus just make sure you have it set to 33 mhz as that will lock it at 33 mhz. There are programs out there to verify the frequency. I believe CPU-z shares this but Im not sure. I also believe sisoft sandra used to tell you this frequency to in it's reports in the benchmarks.

Ohh and Im sorry for the double post. To go back to the original problem at hand if your PCI bus is not being OCed I would look at the over all stability of your system with your overclock. Usually your system drivers are the first to go. Creative has always been known for crap drivers. They just might be starting to "feel" the stress of the overclock first. Try the usual stress testing as mentioned every where on these forums and see how your system hold up. Also you could try reducing your overclock a small hair, like a few mhz's, and see if it still does it.

ok i took another look and all i can find that seems related are these

SB to NB Frequency
SB to NB Overclock i can go Auto/Manual
Adjust PCIE Frequency i cannot find a "Lock" option
Processor frequency Multiplier set to 10x

it seems i do not have an option to adjust FSB directly but i do have an option to adjust CPU FSB ...again...no "lock" option that i can see.

well, is PCIE Frequency the same as PCI bus/Frequency,

my PCIE Frequency is set at 100 by default i believe...should i change it to 33.3???

well, is PCIE Frequency the same as PCI bus/Frequency,

my PCIE Frequency is set at 100 by default i believe...should i change it to 33.3???

no no... pcie run standard at 100mhz, pci is 33mhz. the interfaces are completly diferent even though the names are almost the same. if its a newer board the pci speed is hard locked now vs being ble to change pcie speed.

ok then it must be hard locked because i checked everything....turned auto's to manual's everywhere and no option to even adjust strait PCI freq.

i guess im just gonna do some more tinkering, Thx for all the help guys. /cheers

i would like to add that, it doesnt do it all the time....i can restart it and get lucky and not get the noise...but restart again and DO get the noise. /shrug

With the PCIE locked at 100, the PCI is locked at 33.3. What it sound like is something (a signal) is jumping through the mobo power traces.

Does your mobo have an odd colored PCI slot? Green? There is usually a special slot for sound cards with extra filters to supress noise from other components. Move it to that slot.

Does audio the wire from CD or other device cross parts of the MOBO near the ram on CPU especially, reroute them.

Here's your problem:
Ok im just trying to overclock my CPU a little bit...nothing extreme.
Its an AMD 3800+ x2, When I try to get up to 2.2+, upon restart and windows loads all the sound comes out as a very high pitched Screeching sound. System doesnt crash or anything or hangs but all the sound gets wasted. Im useing a X-fi sound card.​

Welcome to the world of Creative Labs "Squeal of Death". Ditch the X-Fi for anything other than that and you can kiss that problem goodbye forever. Google it and learn more.

This was my first build...I have most the wireing coiled in and around the drive bays in front of the PC and a couple few lying on the bottom like some fan connectors and these big thick grey wires with Pink and Green connectors that aren't connected to anything, and to tell you the truth i dont really know what they are for. However there are 0 wires above/over the motherboard or any other device.

I did clean it out some yesterday and moved some wireing around a bit and I am now running it at 2.3ghz and have had 0 problems. problem solved? we'll see.

thx for all the help and I'll cya's around.

Back