• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ GameXStream 850w vs Corsair TX750W

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SolidxSnake

Which should I grab? The Corsair is more expensive (I can get a used GameXStream for $130 as opposed to the Corsair's $180 on newegg). The Corsair has 2x 6+2pin PCIe connectors, while the OCZ doesn't. Otherwise, the OCZ is more powerful. The Corsair has one 60A 12v Rail, the OCZ 4x 20A that are capable of 823w without any 5v or 3.3v load.

I'm leaning towards the OCZ solely because it's cheaper, and is more powerful than the Corsair. Biggest drawback is the lack of PCIe 8-pin connectors... which doesn't matter much seeing as how those extra two pins are both grounds on the PCIe 8-pin, right?

Suggestions?

Which should I grab? The Corsair is more expensive (I can get a used GameXStream for $130 as opposed to the Corsair's $180 on newegg). The Corsair has 2x 6+2pin PCIe connectors, while the OCZ doesn't. Otherwise, the OCZ is more powerful. The Corsair has one 60A 12v Rail, the OCZ 4x 20A that are capable of 823w without any 5v or 3.3v load.

I'm leaning towards the OCZ solely because it's cheaper, and is more powerful than the Corsair. Biggest drawback is the lack of PCIe 8-pin connectors... which doesn't matter much seeing as how those extra two pins are both grounds on the PCIe 8-pin, right?

Suggestions?

Does this help?:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10007112

No tax outside California, free shipping.

I see the Newegg Gamestream 850 @ $159.99 after MIR here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341003

FSP vs CWT? I'd go with CWT at this point. If you were talking about the ProXStream series, then that is a different matter altogether. :)

Well, a bit late, I just dibbed the 850w GameXStream in the classies ($130 for the thing). I've seen the TX750w beat it in price from OK Wolf (he sold his TX750w he used for the JonnyGuru review for $120 shipped).

The biggest thing though was what was more solid. I have a feeling the OCZ is, but I do wish it was a single-rail PSU, and had native 8-pin PCIe connectors.

I haven't been following PSU OEMs recently, has FSP suddenly dropped in quality? I remember Antec had quite a few problems when they used CWT as their OEM. As for ripple (I've heard all the newer FSP PSUs suffer from great ripple). I'm pretty sure that FSP's biggest problem is ripple... I can't find a single other flaw with them.

Last edited:
Corsair by a landslide - the GXS line, based on the FSP Epsilons, has a ripple issue at high loads and the issue is even more evident on the 850W model I'm afraid :(

That said, it does take quite a bit of power draw to get one to go out of spec on ripple.

The biggest thing though was what was more solid. I have a feeling the OCZ is, but I do wish it was a single-rail PSU, and had native 8-pin PCIe connectors.

Bro.. where do you get your crack from? Maybe it can help me with my TF2. I have this tendency to play a sucidal offense.........

I haven't been following PSU OEMs recently, has FSP suddenly dropped in quality? I remember Antec had quite a few problems when they used CWT as their OEM.

Well... thing is with OEM's is that it's not as easy as slapping a label on an existing product. The OEM has a blue-print of what "should" work... then there's cost down. The "re-brander" comes up with the BOM. What parts to use where on the OEM's blue-print. In Antec's case, they chose to use cheaper caps with a slow RPM fan. These caps blew up in a few years. That wasn't CWT's fault.

Good example of this is Andyson and their < 600W platform. Same one Hiper and Sunbeam use, Aerocool uses, but Aerocool spec'd out caps other than Fuhjyyu because they have a fan that can NOT SPIN at lower loads. If they did that with Fuhjyyu caps, stuff would be blowing up. The Hiper and Sunbeam made stuff uses Fuhjyyu caps, but offers better air flow. That's where Antec made a mistake. They spec'd Fuhjyyu caps because they cost $2 less total BOM cost AND used a low noise, low RPM fan. Result? BOOM!

Bro.. where do you get your crack from? Maybe it can help me with my TF2. I have this tendency to play a sucidal offense.........

Well.... I have my sources :D

Well... thing is with OEM's is that it's not as easy as slapping a label on an existing product. The OEM has a blue-print of what "should" work... then there's cost down. The "re-brander" comes up with the BOM. What parts to use where on the OEM's blue-print. In Antec's case, they chose to use cheaper caps with a slow RPM fan. These caps blew up in a few years. That wasn't CWT's fault.

Good example of this is Andyson and their < 600W platform. Same one Hiper and Sunbeam use, Aerocool uses, but Aerocool spec'd out caps other than Fuhjyyu because they have a fan that can NOT SPIN at lower loads. If they did that with Fuhjyyu caps, stuff would be blowing up. The Hiper and Sunbeam made stuff uses Fuhjyyu caps, but offers better air flow. That's where Antec made a mistake. They spec'd Fuhjyyu caps because they cost $2 less total BOM cost AND used a low noise, low RPM fan. Result? BOOM!

That said, the OEM themselves, in this case (FSP) also manufactures their own PSUs. Would the FSP model have the same components (disregarding casing + fan) as the OCZ model?

That being said, it's still got plenty of power for my upcoming rig... albeit not the cleanest power.

Per the jonny guru review, the Corsairs ripple is not all that great either (the 750 watt version). I can say these units are built well, I bought Wolfs 750 and the overall quality of the unit is very good.

That said, the OEM themselves, in this case (FSP) also manufactures their own PSUs. Would the FSP model have the same components (disregarding casing + fan) as the OCZ model?

That being said, it's still got plenty of power for my upcoming rig... albeit not the cleanest power.

AFAIK, there's little difference between an FSP and a re-labeled FSP.

Per the jonny guru review, the Corsairs ripple is not all that great either (the 750 watt version). I can say these units are built well, I bought Wolfs 750 and the overall quality of the unit is very good.

The TX750's +12V was under 100mV at full load. Not sure how that's "not all that great" when spec is 120mV. The FSP Epsilon/Everest based units EXCEED spec at full load.

Not all that great in the sense that it could of been better. However, I guess its debatable the actually impact it would have on a system.

You ever going to test a powersupply with the internal baffle removed? In the corsair review, they made referance to it doing nothing but blocking half the fan. It would be interesting to see if their is anything to be gained by removing, or trimming the baffle.

Back