• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Yeah, so ummm.... get ready!! The 8800GT 512 may have a software voltage-mod.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GoldenTiger

Untested yet, but... cstkl1 reports the following image showing the extra VID (Voltage Identification) in the BIOS for the 8800GT 512 cards already on his XFX. With it already present in the BIOS, there very well may be support for it. We'll find out soon enough, but I must say I am glad I have already gotten a nice cooler on order :D! This used to work with some past cards, soooooo...! With early overclocking reports using aftermarket cooling showing it to be not heat limited, but voltage limited, these cores surely have a lot more OOMPH left in them. A simple BIOS flash may work to increase the GPU core voltage, it looks like.

possiblemodtv9.jpg

Very interesting! Awaiting your results. I should have my card in a week or so (waiting for step-up). I just need to pick a cooler right now. Accelero S1 seems to be the best bang4$ right now, but I'm considering the HR03.

Yea, it already gets pretty darn hot. I'd make sure anyone that attempts this has the appropriate cooling before doing so.

My cards come in on Friday, and I will be a guinea pig if someone else hasn't already :). The coolers I have on order (just got the second one ordered :D for my second of the pair of 8800GT 512 eVGA KO Edition cards) are these:

thermaltakend1062xs1wf3.jpg

Yes, word of warning, as people said above... these cards run VERY hot on stock cooling, I wouldn't even *think* of trying to up the voltage if you don't have *good* aftermarket cooling for the cards.

hate to burst you guys's bubbles.... but if it uses the same digital voltage circuitry as the original 8800s... the bios doesnt control the voltage once the driver in windows has loaded...

this is why on the 8800gts the nominal difference in voltage from windows xp to windows vista is about a .025V difference across the board... same card same setup... just different driver.

interesting, this might make me buy an after market cooler if you it works out, eagerly awaiting results!

has n e one actually taken nibitor and read their bios... i have NEVER seen a mode before thats "extra"..

it would also be interesting to see a print screen of an unmodified voltage table (voltage table editor page)

has n e one actually taken nibitor and read their bios... i have NEVER seen a mode before thats "extra"..

it would also be interesting to see a print screen of an unmodified voltage table (voltage table editor page)

That is a screen of an unmodified BIOS (not the tables, but those pictures were of a stock BIOS).

Gosh-darnit!

A Mystical Energy Being from the Great Beyond said:
Indeed, the card has different voltages for 2D and 3D. People have measured idle vGPU @ 1.05v and load 1.1v.
Modbios' will only increases idle voltage...

... lawls... told ya guys so.

THERE STILL might be hope... if n e one could get a print sceen of the voltage table editor page of their stock 8800gt i might be able to tell...

Valid voltage values will show up in yellow in all the hex at the top.

... lawls... told ya guys so.

THERE STILL might be hope... if n e one could get a print sceen of the voltage table editor page of their stock 8800gt i might be able to tell...

Valid voltage values will show up in yellow in all the hex at the top.

Yep... :). You were right.

I can get a printscreen of it tomorrow, mine are probably coming then according to tracking even though they're not due until Friday :D.

coo it would definetly be nice to see if one could simply edit the voltage table for an extra .1 or so volts... sorta like the 7800gt days:beer:

Back