• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom X4, AMD, OverDrive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
No it won't make it any more time consumng... If you're lazy then just overclock them all to the same speed and leave it however high it gets. However, if you want to get the absolute max, once you get each to the lowest common denominator, then you can possibly raise the other cores higher than the lowest-performing one. You don't HAVE to tweak every core individually if you don't want to...

actually, I think this feature was announced last January, it's not limited to FX chips, it's a chipset limitation though. Current AM2 chipsets probably can't control the cpus in such a way, and we'll need AMD 790/780/770/whatever or an alternative next-gen chipset to control the cpu cores independently.

i hope you're right. this is the first i heard of it.

lol, return of the Turbo button anyone?

The new MSi 8600GT has a turbo button that raises the shader, core and memory clocks, but I think you have to reboot for that to kick in...

Assigning the core affinities for each program seems to be too time consuming really, but not being held back by one dodgy core is pretty sweet.
As for power consumption, would you not have to draw from the 12V rail enough power for the highest clocked core, and so the power consumption is the same as if all the core where at that speed? or do you set independent voltages? cause that would help with the whole power and heat issue.

Oh, BTW, e6600's have been shown to do stock clocks at .9 and .87 volts, also some quads have done that as well. Thats is quite good that you can have powerful processors like that and maybe passivley cool them for a media pc that can do intensive conversions etc.

there are peeps working on a prog for setting affinities easily, with profiles and such, of course, that amd overdrive prog might, we still don't know what it all contains

anyone notice the voltage part is cut off? wonder what's over there ;)

Oh, BTW, e6600's have been shown to do stock clocks at .9 and .87 volts, also some quads have done that as well. Thats is quite good that you can have powerful processors like that and maybe passivley cool them for a media pc that can do intensive conversions etc.

umm, e6600's = dual core

phenom = quad core

I cannot wait to see how these actually perform. I have been waiting to see if I should upgrade to the Yorkfield or this...hopefully I will stick with AMD, but I am all about performance now days.

As for the 38xx...I am scared AMD/ATI has messed up again with this one...I think I will purchase the 8800GT when they release more shaders and O/C it passed the Ultras.

Maybe they are focusing on getting ppl to get the FX setup? If the price is right it may be better to get octacore plus crossfire setup performance to price wise vs. an sli setup with skulltrail. Guess we have to wait and see.

can u please elaborate? it's hard to argue the information based on what we've seen before, and it's not like it's a story without pics/links

i will go with it when its from someone other then INQ.. thats all...

Back