• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom X4, AMD, OverDrive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Molester

http://www.expreview.com/news/hard/2007-10-31/1193813419d6698.html

For the doubters of independent core clocking.

amd_overdrive.jpg

Interesting but what is the benefit other than power consumption?

not being limited to just the slowest core

by setting affinity you can choose what progs run on which core, and with independent clocking, you can have the more intensive progs run on the faster cores and less intensive on slower cores

Friggin sweet. Means I can dedicate the fastest core to SETI, and the slowest core to running desktop and crap..

Wait a minute.. Ill be running SETI on all cores.. nvm ^-^. Still, its an awesome feature imo

So, are we expecting someday someone will yelling "My other 3 cores are fine at x.x Ghz, but this particular core "y" sux, can not reach Prime95 stable !" LOL :D

seeing this makes me thing they can do it that way cause of the HT bus... there would be no way to do this on intels current NB-cpu buss. would be kinda cool though, not sure its that usefull. even if one core is say underclocked the motherboard would still be pulling a lot of power from the 12v rail.

So, are we expecting someday someone will yelling "My other 3 cores are fine at x.x Ghz, but this particular core "y" sux, can not reach Prime95 stable !" LOL :D

ROFL all to soon I'm afraid :D

i'd bet this kind of thing will only be availible for FX chips. we'll see though.

actually, I think this feature was announced last January, it's not limited to FX chips, it's a chipset limitation though. Current AM2 chipsets probably can't control the cpus in such a way, and we'll need AMD 790/780/770/whatever or an alternative next-gen chipset to control the cpu cores independently.

im finding this a bit funny while amd release a new chipset its going to have the same names as NV's chipsets... :O

well, not exactly, AMD's are 790FX and 770

nVidia is 780... and i don't know what the other is...

but yeah, i get your point

Back