• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Macbook and MBP get updates

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grimm003

This happened a day or 2 ago, I am surprised it wasn't even mentioned here yet.
As rumored, Apple has quietly updated the MacBook tonight to the Santa Rosa architecture with mild speed bumps and the GMA X3100 integrated video.

White 13.3"
$1099.00 2.0GHz/1GB RAM/80GB/Combo/GMA X3100
$1299.00 2.2GHz/1GB RAM/120GB/SD-DL/GMA X3100

Black 13.3"
$1499.00 2.2GHz/1GB RAM/160GB/SD-DL/GMA X3100

Despite comparable clock speeds (2.0 -> 2.0GHz, 2.16 -> 2.2GHz) to the old models, the new MacBooks use the Santa Rosa chipset which boasts a faster 800MHz front side bus over the previous MacBook models. The introduction of the GMA X3100 video card also provides significant benefits over the previous models. The new specs can be seen at the Apple Store:

Apple's product pages on the rest of the site had not yet been updated at the time of this writing. The new MacBooks appeared in Apple Retail stores on Wednesday, but the boxes were accompanied by instructions not to open them until further notice.

Updatex2: Apple's store pulled the new specs, and now is showing them again.

Update 3: The MacBook Pro now has the option to upgrade to a 2.6GHz processor for $250, and also has the option for a 250GB drive.
macrumors.com

It's not a huge hardware upgrade, faster CPU, better integrated graphics, capable of more ram, but combined with Leopard getting fantastic reviews, I think I might be picking one of these up in the new year.

apple was slow to adopt the santa rosa plat

Yes they were, as they always are with new tech(xcept their Ipods and such), seems majority of their customers dont care that much either way, so they feel comfortable not being in a hurry.

That said, Ive gotten a lot of use outta my macs as a graphic pro since 1984, and never upgraded untill the comps were absolutely waaaaay to slow to keep up with latest OS's and other programs.

I keep handing down Ibooks to my daughter, she's about to get my G4 next, it plays Club Penguin just fine :santa::santa:

Last edited:
Back