• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My 8800GT SLI Overclock with Thermaltake ND1's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GoldenTiger

EDIT: You can see pictures of them mounted in my later post in this thread.

System:

Q6600 @ 3.15, 1.53v
2x eVGA 8800GT KO 512MB in SLI, with Thermaltake ND1 HSF's
2 hard drives
eVGA 680i NF68-A1 SLI motherboard
4x1GB RAM sticks
7 120mm case fans, plus two 80ish-mm fans that the aftermarket coolers use
Optical drive
X-fi sound card
Corsair HX 520w PSU

Results so far (will update later with more) Crysis several-loop stable + 3dmark06 stable + ATItool stable: 742core/1836shader/2100ram :D! Quite nice!

ND1's wouldn't fit unless I removed the molex connector for the stock HSF and then bent the pins down to cover them with electrical tape... can always put them back on later :D. I'm extremely pleased with these cards!

Last edited:
This is what I was waiting for. GT cards with 3rd party air coolers. I'm looking forward to your research. ;)

This is what I was waiting for. GT cards with 3rd party air coolers. I'm looking forward to your research. ;)

:) I may be voltmodding the vGPU on these shortly, too...

Here are pics of my SLI 8800GT 512's (eVGA KO's) with the Thermaltake ND1's on them:

8800nd12tc5.jpg

8800nd13nk4.jpg

8800nd11pi8.jpg

The air actually makes it out the back very well, despite the small gap.

so those coolers make contact on all the memory and also seat well on the core ?

Yep, they touch everything perfectly and make excellent contact. Note where the electrical tape is toward the right end of the heatsink base, that's where the original power connector was. It was quite easy to take the molex off with a little care with the pliers and then bend the pins down (they go VERY easily, I bent all four at once to make it so they didn't go down too quickly as I bent with my thumb). The electrical tape is to cover the pins (they weren't making contact, but just to be sure).

any idea what the temps were like before adding the coolers?

Yes, I tried them out first to make sure I didn't have DOA cards, also did some oc'ing before I replaced the coolers.

Stock temps were around 55c card 1, 60c card 2, idle. The load temps were ~80c card 1, ~85c card 2, with clocks set to 700/1650ish-shader/1950ram. They wouldn't budge any higher, and were borderline-overheating.

EDIT: I too was curious of the drop, which is another reason I tried them out first :D.

so you got a considerable overclock with the 3rd party coolers compared to the reference design. That's good. Just what I was looking for. What is the difference in noise?

question... the power mofests or w/e they are make contact with the stock cooler, did you add ram skins to em or anything?

so you got a considerable overclock with the 3rd party coolers compared to the reference design. That's good. Just what I was looking for. What is the difference in noise?

Yep, and these coolers are virtually silent :). The fan was at 70% for the stock-cooler temps and was pretty loud. I'm pleased, and I probably have temperature headroom for a voltmod.

question... the power mofests or w/e they are make contact with the stock cooler, did you add ram skins to em or anything?

This particular cooler takes air in from the bottom and top of its fan, so it pulls air across the power circuitry. I considered adding sinks, but I found them not to feel warm at all on the opposite side of the card, whereas the RAM/GPU were readily warm to the touch on the backside with these coolers installed. Therefore, I didn't bother to redo the mounting to put small sinks on the MOSFETs.

Can you post some 3dmark06 scores with your 8800gt sli at stock and OC'd speeds?

I'd like to see the difference if you don't mind. :santa:

Sure thing, by stock you mean the KO stock speeds (675/1630ish/1950) or the very default 600/1800 ones? Either way's fine. I had a much lower score than I should have when I ran it before because of running antivirus/etc. in the background, so I'm not going to bother posting that one :).

Yeah looking forward to the 3dmark06 on those D:
My prediction is 16-18k

Comparing the price of these ND1's vs the HR-03, it seems that the HR-03 is a more efficient buy, but these work great too.

Is that the CM690 btw? Nice to see they run great on the 520HX too =p

Sure thing, by stock you mean the KO stock speeds (675/1630ish/1950) or the very default 600/1800 ones? Either way's fine. I had a much lower score than I should have when I ran it before because of running antivirus/etc. in the background, so I'm not going to bother posting that one :).
very stock speeds vs. your personal OC.

Whew nice results... Can't wait for mine... Be glad to know as well that everyone looking at third party coolers might have a bit more OC room in them as well which is always good :)

Back