SOUTH AFRICA, and yes, we do have electricity, and no, lions dont walk around in our streets

Hot glue from glue gun - can I use it?

I want to stick a mounting bracket permanantly to a pentium III motherboard. The area I will be covering is large and I will need to glue over a MOSFET and cap's and some IC's...

Can I use hot glue from a glue gun? Is it electrically insulative?

If not, should I apply nail varnish to the board before I glue it?

SOUTH AFRICA, and yes, we do have electricity, and no, lions dont walk around in our streets
    Is there some other similar glue that anyone can recommend if I cannot use it?

2-component epoxy.
    While hot glue isn't conductive it's not strong enough for any permanent application.
    Especially when the components that are glued produce heat...
    You were not supposed to see this.
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

The problem is that I have a gap of about 8mm to fill between the bracket and the mobo.

That would take a lot of epoxy and it tends to be too runny to fill such a big gap...

No weight will hang from it at all, so strength is not a problem.

Good point about the heat - more problems to concider, yay...

Okay, I can get around the MOSFET, but will still cover some small capacitors and other IC's. Is this okay?

I am getting itchy hehe...

you could try the plyable epoxy? its a bit like clay. sold in a 2 component stick that you have to mix... and then you can put it on (great as a filler or for 'creating' parts)

remember that most (if not all) glue types dont take heat too well...

Thanks for the suggestions!

Ill meander over to my builders shop and see what epoxies I can get..

P.S.

to OCF AlexanderB!

Benchmarking Senior Member Deanzo's Avatar
    You can certainly use hot glue on most parts of your board, I use it all over my board to hold wires in place.

I can even show you a picture if you would like.
    My Heatware

icebob: Do we have to flip the screen upside down to see you Dean!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Deanzo View Post
    You can certainly use hot glue on most parts of your board, I use it all over my board to hold wires in place.

I can even show you a picture if you would like.
    Hey you are right! the voltmod boys use it to hold little soldered wires in place! I remember seeing it now, no need for a picture thanks!

Do you think a MOSFET on a P III board could really melt it?

and thanks

I have no idea how hot those get... I'd say no problem.. and if not, you'll find out soon enough :P

Heatware Profile
    Even not melting it, they will soften that cured glue, imo use some epoxy putty is the best cause they will cured like a stone like material.

Anyway, since mosfet will heat up, what ever material you're going to use, make sure you test it 1st on a disposable glass outer surface, once cured, pour a hot water in it to see if the heat is affecting that material.

10 Year Badge
    Quote Originally Posted by bing View Post
    Even not melting it, they will soften that cured glue, imo use some epoxy putty is the best cause they will cured like a stone like material.

Anyway, since mosfet will heat up, what ever material you're going to use, make sure you test it 1st on a disposable glass outer surface, once cured, pour a hot water in it to see if the heat is affecting that material.

or ignite it :P
    Main Rig: [Silverstone TJ06 painted hammer black] [Intel E6550 3.2 ghz 1.35v ] [4 gigs Gskil] [Asus P5k Premium Wifi/ap] [Soundblaster Audiguy ZS platinum] [ATI 3560 pro] [enhiem 1250 pump, Swiftech Storm, primoflex tubing, mcres micro, maze 4 gpu block][ Windows Vista x64 Ultimate sp1]
    HTPC: [LianLI V300B] [Opty 165 1.88 ghz] [Thermalright XP90] [2 gb OCZ Platinum DDR400] [Soundblaster X-FI Xtreme Music] [8600GT Stock] [Windows Vista Home Premium sp1]
    Server: [Rocketfish Tower] [c2d E6600][Scythe Ninja Jr] [4 gigs Gskil ddr2 800][ATI X850XT ] [Windows Vista B]
    Network: Cisco 851W uptime: forever
    Heatware

Can you show us a picture?

I have used hot glue to attach alot of electronics and have never had a problem but i'm not sure exactly what you are doing.
    Big changes coming: Intel e4300, DFI Blood iron, Crucial DDR2-8500, ATI x859xt, MCW-6002>Ehiem 1250>Bip3 with 3 nidec beta Vs, Sunbeam Zorro, Corsair 650 watter
    Stuff I should be using but don't: Finally got around to running that stuff.

Ever run a benchmark? support our forums by posting it in the 3dmark team and system benchmarking team sections.
    My heatware

Silence may be golden but performance is platinum

Heatware Profile
    Hot glue is fine for cold part of the pcb, power mosfet or inductor are known to be warm or even hot, not good for "hot" glue !

Thats a good idea, I'll try that

Quote Originally Posted by gangaskan View Post
    or ignite it :P
    Eeeewwww - burning glue stinks like crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by speed bump View Post
    Can you show us a picture?

I have used hot glue to attach alot of electronics and have never had a problem but i'm not sure exactly what you are doing.
    Hmmm, you will just have to wait and see - its very ghetto. Once I have all the parts I need I'll post

Hot glue is fine for cold part of the pcb, power mosfet or inductor are known to be warm or even hot, not good for "hot" glue !
    I can glue around the one MOSFET that is in the way, so should be fine!

Thanks guys, I'll get some different epoxies and hot glue and see what I can come up with. I also thought of using car exhaust repair putty as a gap filler since it is resistant to heat. Will let you know what I am up to soon!

byebye

Wants Old Title Back
    Didn't Get It
    Author Profile
    My worry would be insulating heat that needs to escape. You might cover something up that gets hot, and hot enough to cook the component if covered. You got a IR temp gun to measure temps? Maybe set your comp up on a test stand and run a stress test and check the temp of the components you want to cover first? Have to get within a cm to get a good reading on those tiny suckers.