• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Half Life + nausea?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SolidxSnake

It sounds stupid, but the HL series is NAUSEATING :D

My friend just recently decided to play through HL2, and he's been telling me he's getting crazy nauseous after a bit of playing it. I also remember getting nauseous when playing through HL1 in the summer.

It's strange, because it's the same engines as CS and CS:S, which we play all the time. It's not like we get nauseous to all games, only Half-Life (I dunno about HL2 for me, I haven't played it in a year or two now.

Anyone else feeling the same way we do, or are we just isolated freaks? :D

Maybe it's just an overdose of awesome...

Do you have things like weapon bob on? Ejecting brass?

You could also try narrowing your FoV, or widening it to see if that helps.

Some people are just plagued by nausea when playing FPS games. Maybe Half-life is just your Achilles Heel.

Do you have things like weapon bob on? Ejecting brass?

You could also try narrowing your FoV, or widening it to see if that helps.

Some people are just plagued by nausea when playing FPS games. Maybe Half-life is just your Achilles Heel.

Probably. It goes away anyway, I was never like throw up nauseous but HL was definitely doing something to me.

Everything normal was on when I was playing HL1, not sure about my friend playing HL2.

vixro said:
Isolated freaks!!!!!

:D

Hmm, I can never imagine myself getting nausea from playing a game, maybe just a headache, but it's pretty interesting it's HL2 that most people report as the culprit.

dan

Hmm, I can never imagine myself getting nausea from playing a game, maybe just a headache, but it's pretty interesting it's HL2 that most people report as the culprit.

dan

kinda off topic, but not really, ive only gotten a headache from one game, not even PC, but for the NGC paper mario lol, my gf loved that game. but the headaches...

lol I totally agree this game gives people nausea, same thing happened to me, but the story was so good I had to keep playing and eventually it went away

Does it help when vsync is turned on at all?

No, it's not tearing. It's just the game itself... it's really odd.

It hasn't happened to me since I started HL (I didn't feel any different after maybe an hour into HL1).

I had a buddy over here playing Portal the other day, and it got him BAD. It was to the point where he couldn't walk, and had to sit down and lay his head back for about an hour. Strangest thing I had ever seen for someone who doesn't get motion sickness.

This is actually pretty common. Its usually caused by abrupt motion like screen shaking and such when nades go off. I know BF 2142 has a disclaimer to turn camera motion if you feel nauseated.

I had a similar kinda issue.

First off, take breaks. You probably end up staring at the screen, and all that turning gets to you.

I mean, for the most part in HL1 you're in narrow corridors and things, so it gets kinda hectic at times. For HL2 it's a bit diff, but I can see people getting sick after those long long long levels.

I used to experience nausea during the fan boat levels. The swaying side to side and general FOV would get me everytime. This was when I was gaming on a Dell 2005FPW (20" wide screen). I played at native resolution and @ 60 Hz.

However once I switched to my now Viewsonic VX922 (19" 4:3) @ native resolution @ 75 Hz I experienced little to no nausea. Not sure if it was the wide screen or the 60 Hz vs 75 Hz but it was difinetivly a night and day difference for me.

Games in the quake format i.e. comprised mainly of small rooms and corridoors always make me nauseous and Halflife 1 was no exception. HL2 didn't but most of EP 1 and some of EP 2 did.

I think some people are more sensitive to certain colors and blur effects than others. I think it varies from person to person.

I know people like my uncle that cant play any FPS or high movement action game without feeling sick. But, then there are people like my roommate who get sick playing games like Bioshock, but can play CS, and Gunz (if youve heard of it its the most ADD shooter ive ever seen) all day and be fine. Personally, I get headaches playing blocky textured games and games with lots of white, like games set in snowy settings. I remember playing a snowy map in America's Army and getting one of the worst headaches of my life.

So rambling aside, I'd say its just preference from person to person what, if any, colors and textures cause motion sickness or headaches.

Back