• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop Modding

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

camus

Registered
Hey guys, been over a year since i last posted... I miss OC :)

I just bought the $348 Wal-Mart laptop, using my associate's discount it was roughly $305 . If you dont know the specs, it is an Acer Aspire 5315-2153, a pretty undocumented and barebones machine. For the price, i love it, because i never would have spent more than this on a laptop, it came brand new, the screen is lovely, and the money i spent would have gone into one of my desktops anyway.

Here are it's specs (not sure if it varies, but these are the specs for the one i got)

Celeron M 530 Conroe-L @ 1729mhz
Bus @ 133mhz
Acer "Acadia" Intel GM965 82801HBM ICH8-ME
DDR2/266

I want to OC this bugger. Yes i know the risks. I have already started modding a removable fan to the back of the case, i made a shroud that the fan can slide into, but i really dont know if there's anything that will kill my laptop if i tap into the existing fan header for power. Can anyone explain that to me? I will really never use this thing unplugged, i dont take it anywhere but i want a fan because the ventilation on this thing is rather poor. Its pretty hot on my lap right now just typing up this post.

Now, first of all I dont know much about mobile computing. The ratio for memory is 1:2 FSB to ram. Came with 1 gig of 4-4-4-12 in 2 sticks of pc2-5300. Max BW for the memory says 333 but who knows.

Now, of course the bios contains one option, boot order, thats it. I cant find any modified bios or any special instructions for getting more, so i seriously doubt i can do anything in the bios for overclocking. Clockgen seems to be MIA and the various versions i've found i seriously doubt contain a description for this motherboard. Has anyone tried to OC a similar completely locked down mobo? I used to have a p133 toshiba hunk of junk that had a little secret jumper on it's mobo to unlock some more bios options. I doubt i'm that lucky, but its worth a shot, eh? I've also tried stuff like Powerstrip and
Rightmark to overlock CPU or VGA, but cant seem to get them to work at all. Am i screwed? I read somewhere about some pin modding action going on with socket 479. could any of that apply to this below budget system?

Thanks to anyone who reads or responds. Glad to be back at ocf.

Camus

edit: forgot to mention that the first thing i did when i got it was take it completely apart and put it back together, then formatted it's sata hard drive and put XP Pro on. I fiddled with the little slots in it, are these mini PCI-E or what? Right now the wifi card and (i assume) the modem cards are in the 2 slots.

Last edited:
Hmm, That is an interesting point, I wonder if it is possible to do a pad mod on the laptop motherboards.

Can that mobo support a bus of 200? If not, I believe you are screwed :( (because I highly doubt that you will be able to use software, unless you can get software to start talking to the clock generator...)

Have you tried "setFSB"? Just another thing to play around with...

And yes, those slots should be either mini PCI or mini PCIe. (Since it is a budget laptop I would say more chance that it is mini PCI)

I've no luck with setFSB. Tried a few different combinations that said they might be similar to this mobo. Hmm. Wonder what the process is in figuring out your PLL ID? Thank you for your reply... Will do some looking around.

Well it seems as though it doesnt matter anymore, eh? Shut it down last night and it sat on the table until this morning i power it on, no display, the fan spins up, i can hear the drive power on, etc. Took it all apart, cant seem to know if i'm successfully resetting the cmos or not, but i tried, and it changed nothing. Sure it was 300 bucks but i was expecting more than a week out of it. Guess the people who warned us not to buy these were right after all.

Just in case anyone was wondering (yeah right) I felt like ranting here.. What happened was I let some stuff download over night, closed the lid, went to bed, opened the lid in the morning, browsed some web sites :) I needed to restart it to finish installing some drivers, and BAM it wouldnt turn on. Here's what i've done to it: Take it apart, attempt to reset the soldered o_O CMOS battery, hold the power button down tip that people have given me, left it without battery or power for 2 days and tried agian, took it apart again and looked at how everything was seated and tried to reset the battery AGAIN, and now... my 10 day return policy time is gone and i'm stuck with a laptop i've used for less than 2 days. If I could just figure out whats wrong, and get the thing to even power on the screen then PERHAPS I could save it. Anyone have any wild ideas? Trust me I'll do ANYTHING! :)

Just in case anyone was wondering (yeah right) I felt like ranting here.. What happened was I let some stuff download over night, closed the lid, went to bed, opened the lid in the morning, browsed some web sites :) I needed to restart it to finish installing some drivers, and BAM it wouldnt turn on. Here's what i've done to it: Take it apart, attempt to reset the soldered o_O CMOS battery, hold the power button down tip that people have given me, left it without battery or power for 2 days and tried agian, took it apart again and looked at how everything was seated and tried to reset the battery AGAIN, and now... my 10 day return policy time is gone and i'm stuck with a laptop i've used for less than 2 days. If I could just figure out whats wrong, and get the thing to even power on the screen then PERHAPS I could save it. Anyone have any wild ideas? Trust me I'll do ANYTHING! :)

In order to reset the soldered CMOS battery use a flat head screw driver to short the battery by placing it on the pins above the solder. While holding the flat head in place press and hold the power button for one minute. ONLY DO THIS WHEN THE LAPTOP IS NOT CONNECTED TO A POWER SUPPLY/BATTERY.

Well I had a read around and your not alone with this model of laptop going belly up :-/
There's the dc jack input issues
The battery chipsets and board issues
The bios update that was wrong from the official site issue
And finally the original bios fan fail issue causing overheating

Quality stuff :cool:

:shrug:

mine is still working with an aftermarket t7300. heats up like a mofo but still good for steam streaming.

Back