• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8800GT nTune stability test crash @ default settings?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rUfUnKy

Just got my EVGA 8800GT SC .Being my first Nvidia card in a couple years I was looking around in nTune
and decided to run the stability test.. Every time I do it crashes! Blue Screen error NVLDDMKM.sys

It runs 3dmark 06 fine even above the SSC defaults. It also runs crysis demo on high with out a hiccup. Is the nTune test more harsh??

I'm a bit confused.:confused:

Last edited:
dont use ntune, ntune is not designed and updated yet for the 8800gt. Also if you get the nvlddmkm.sys error do this. go to start, under vista and search for nvlddmkm.sys and hit enter. Delete all of them except the one with the latest date. Then your set. Use rivatuner to o/c your card and use ati tool beta .27 2b to test your overclock. IF IT IS NOT ATI TOOL STABLE ITS NOT STABLE!!!

Thanks killerkid.. I wasn't aware that Ntune did not support the new line of cards.

I only found one nvlddmkm.sys .. I'll check out ATI Tool and let you know if it crashed .

Update:

GPU hit 94c load before I adjusted the fan speed. :S

ATI Tool 30 min no errors @ SSC defaults

Core Clock Speed 700MHz

Memory Clock Speed 1000MHz

Shader Clock Speed 1728MHz

Last edited:
take your memory speed down to 950mhz with rivatuner, make your fan speed around 60% or so, or if you dont mind the sound 100% it will drop your temps alot. Dont ever let your card hit above 90c on the gpu, its not good. The reason you want to drop your mem is because 1000mhz is to high. I know the card came clocked at that speed, however if you continue to run it at 1000mhz it will die. You need to downclock it to around 950mhz. TRUST me on this.

LMAO at this thread

first of all, 50mhz less isnt going to make a difference whatsoever, secondly if your hitting 90c something is wrong with your card already because I run both mine at 700/1728/1000 and havnt hit 70c yet.

ntune works fine with 8800 gt's in xp for gpu clocks and fan speed. havnt tried it in vista yet.
your better off with rivatuner though and I wouldnt trust any type of tuning or stability test in ntune.

first of all, 50mhz less isnt going to make a difference whatsoever, secondly if your hitting 90c something is wrong with your card already because I run both mine at 700/1728/1000 and havnt hit 70c yet.

This post
and its links seem to indicate there may be a reason to worry about OCing the RAM too high.

I wouldnt worry about it 50mhz isnt going to make a difference.

I will ask eVGA myself though and see if I can get any info from them

Intresting note on the memory speed. Seems odd that it can't handle the faster speeds but who am I to argue with? Rattle definatly intrested into what you find out.

I don't know whether to believe it or not myself. I'm interested to hear what eVGA tells you as well.

Thank god for warranty's! Maybe they'll do some kind of recall, or replace broken cards w/ cards that have better quality RAM on them.

I think some cards definitely have issues with bad memory, namely mine. I am RMA'ing my 8800GT SC cause I couldn't get it to perform without freezes, red artifacts or BSOD's at SC stock. But with the memory at 1800MHz intsead of 1900Mhz it ran fine. Evga gave me an RMA# right away.

I tried drivers, fan speeds etc... and nothing did the trick except underclocking the memory. Check out this thread on Evga.
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=148955

Interesting, This is the first I have heard about the OC'ed mem issue. I too am very interested in what EVGA will say.

Rattle, I don't believe there is anything wrong with my card .. Besides the nTune test, my card is running flawless.

I've read around and it is not uncommon for these cards to reach 90c+ load before playing with the fan speed. when I adjusted the fan to 60% it immediately dropped to 72c (after 1 min) I am also running this card in a APEVIA X-QPACK micro atx.So air flow is a little more limited then a standard ATX case.

Thanks for the responses.

Reading through some more posts...

"EVGA responded to this in one of the posts in this forum by saying they saw no sign of this damage-over-time in their tests..."

and

"I was told there was a bios update that spins the fan up to highspeed during heavy loads. Several ppl have told me you must do this or you will get pixelation and your computer will lockup because the fan is spinning too slow. This is what I was told by several tech ppl at the local Frye's computer store. Several of them purchased Zalman coolers and to replace the factory fans and they have had no issues since."

I'll have to look into the update when I get off work.

yeah let us know about the bios update for eVGA's, I needed to call eVGA but I dont think they are oprn on weekends. I will call them monday.

I still have the bad 8800GT while my RMA replacement is being cross shipped. I setup the fan to spin 60% > 50c, 80% > 55c 100% > 60c. So far my idle temp is about 51c and load temp during FEAR is about 61c. During Crysis SP demo it's about 70c.

Granted I have the memory underclocked so I am not sure if that makes a big difference? But I also have a 80mm s-flex case fan pointing at the card and my cases side panels are currently off. So I bet that is all helping keep the temps down.

I have heard the rumours about the 1000Mhz memory pushing the limits but nothing concrete about it. Guess I'll wait and see what Evga says to. I wonder if that rumour has started out of the fact that some of these cards actually have bad memory like mine or if it's really true that it just can't handle 1000Mhz well over time?

rattle i love how all you are doing is rattling your mouth off without any solid evidence nor information. I suggest you keep your lips closed if you dont know what your talking about. 50mhz DOES make a difference when your hitting the 1000mhz/2000mhz wall. Cards are dieing every day because of the 2000mhz wall. If you dont believe me then believe johnnyguru who posted this at hardforums, or believe this link posted on evga forums, thanks for your time but your waisting others with your misinformed opinion.

Link to johnnyguru agreeing with me that the ram should not be pushed apast my suggested marks.
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1236173

Link proving what can happen to the SSC version of the 8800gt.
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=157001

Now would you care to tell me that 50mhz on the ram doesn't make a difference?

Heres a thread here at our own forums going further in with this.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=534645

also, im going to be making a full thread dedicated to the proper way to overclock the 8800gt, the tools to be used, and the ranges that should not be passed. I bet you don't even know what a dead zone is rattle, but yet 50mhz doesn't make a difference right?

dude your out of line BIGTIME with your comments towards me I would advise you to choose your words more carefully

if the cards dont run at 2000 especially the SSC then it needs to be rma'd not underclocked so it runs correctly. If this happens there's obviously a problem with the specific cards in question not all of them, if the problem occurs you dont want the card anyway lmao

I been running both mine at 999 since I got them...

No, your misinformed opinion is out of line. My comments directed towards you are in line. The SSC is not the problem. EVERY 8800gt in the world has this issue. ALL OF THEM. If you run the card above 1000mhz=2000mhz you WILL encounter problems, its just a matter of time. All the RMA will do is have you waiting to reicive another card that will do the same exact thing, simply take the mem clock down to 950 and everyone will be fine.

this remains to be seen, i will call eVGA monday and see what they have to say, maybe I can get some info to support this theory of jonny's who works for BFG now BTW, maybe he knows something we dont.

your still out of line though and you will be assimilated

Considering you had the audacity to call me out with your vast knowledge of the whole 2 years you have been here about how 50mhz doesn't make a difference, it makes me a bit angry. You can talk all you want, but don't throw things at me, when you don't know what your talking about.

edit: by the way, if you call evga, don't just call and say "hey are you guys having any problems with your ssc 8800gt's, no? ooh ok thanks bye". Say something like "hey i am having an issue with my ssc 8800gt, the picture has green lines and white stuff all over it, whats going on, is this a common problem, or is it just my card" There more likely to admit to a widely known problem if you phrase it like that.

Or you could just save your time and hop over to the forums and see all the posts about the problems the cards with 1000mhz are having. And not just evga cards but other cards also, considering they were all made by the same company.

edit: and you said that i was going to be "assimilated", considering you don't have any facts and are just rattling your mouth off about things, how exactly is it that you are going to teach me anything. If anything here, your the one thats going to be assimilated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back