• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

evga 8800GTs all the same? My thinking..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DumpALump

I was thinking that all the 8800GTs would be the same except that the stock OC'd cards are tested at their rated speed. My reason being is that if a chip did not pass a certain inspection, Nvidia would release a lower end card that would take up that chip. They would usually disable a few things here and there so they could still use the bad chips. The lower end card would be more like a 8800 pro or SE rather than a regular GT vs GT SC. Sort of how the GTO and GTX were pretty much the same card or how the ATI 9500 could be changed into a 9700.

There could be a difference in the bios with changing the voltage. Like how the voltage on the Signature Series was changed to allow the 600/1600 core/mem. Though I would think this would only occur on the SSC as all the forums I've visited all cards surpassed SC and KO speeds.

What do you guys think?

I have always thought that they are all the same, pre overclocked cards are BS the only time it wasnt was on the evga gtx AC3 because they actually used the a3 rev core that comes on the ultras.

my evga 8800gt both shipped in a regular box, but they are both the SC clocks by default and have been doing SSC clocks since I turned them on.

The worse clocking cards I ever had were BFG OC and a XFX OC card lol

stock cards with e6600 at 400x9 and 5-5-5-15 timings I got 16040 on untweaked xp pro.

with quad at 3.6 you can add 2k to that.

I can hit 18k pretty easy with some card clockage, if you guys with quads get 3.6-3.8 and cards at SSC speeds 20k is easy.

For how quickly they're selling out, I'm wondering if they'd even have time to bin em. Got my superclocked ed. in on Fri. Would have got vanilla, but couldn't find one anywhere, so picked up the superclocked for $279.

they all use the same memory from what I have read, so the OC potential is VERY good, I bet almost ever SC edition card can reach SSC levels of overclock :)

i get 15236 06 points on a single card at 730/1850/1010(2040 DDR) and a quad at 3.6ghz on water. This is my 24/7 clock speed.

Oh and the memory on all these cards is crap atm. all the cards on the market a referance design, right down to the rams chips used. superclocked or not, every card from every manufactuer on the market today is physically the same.

Back