• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

37" 1080p HDTV for $592 shipped. (update: Not 1080P)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You say CRT technology is 110 years old as if there haven't been innovations since then, and there have been lots, just as computers have advanced significantly since the advent of the transistor. The thing is I'm not talking about direct-view "CRTs" because those are junk. If you want to compare an LCD or DLP to a CRT based TV, then you need to compare it to a 3 tubed set. Again, these are well within the range of LCDs and DLPs. Hell, if you look around a bit you could probably find an entry level CRT projector for FREE. CRTs are "all that", but the problem is they aren't profitable, which is why they are going extinct. If you want the absolute best picture money can buy, you want a CRT front projector. Just look at the screenshots I posted... LCD or DLP can't touch that color and contrast. Yes, CRT is a pain in the *** to setup, but you know that saying "no pain, no gain"?

LCDs have two huge flaws - the backlight and the fixed resolution, and they will never get to the point of CRT. That's been the goal of TV manufacturers for the past 10 years you know, right? They tried LCD, and it can't get near CRT black level or color reproduction. Why do you think professional photographers and TV production managers use CRT monitors and not LCD? Then they tried DLP, which is much better due to not having a backlight or fixed resolution. DLP is film-like, much like CRTs because it does not have a fixed panel. Now they're trying LCoS, laser, LEDs, etc, just to get to the point where we were 10 years ago. Yes, I'm biased against LCDs because of their flaws. You're biased against DLPs because of the rainbow effect, which most people rarely notice anyways. However, everyone can notice poor black levels and poor colors.

Hey guys, I don't mean to burst your bubble, but this very topic has been discussed in multi-thousand post threads at AVSforums. Just sayin'. ;)

Corbec, I'm not sure why you initially brought up CRT's? The original comparison was LCD's and DLP's until you began claiming your CRT was far superior. CRT's weren't even entered into the equation. The reason I prefer modern LCD's to DLP's are the rainbow effect as doublejack mentioned. For the most part, they are otherwise on a fairly even playing field (picture quality wise.)

My epenis is bigger than yours, and Ati roxxors!

:p

Just a joke guys, your conversation is very informative even if it's been discussed a couple thousand times already.

SED Tv's will be out soon and all these power hog plasma and lcd tv's will be on the way out anyhow. than you crt and lcd thin people can both be happy. Australia is said to be passing a law that prohibits the sale of any plasma or LCD tv after the year 2011. They use too much power and are claimed to be a great contributer to the worlds over-consumption of power. SED and OLED seem to be the future.....

That makes me want to get a 1KW PSU.....hmmmmm mmmm powerrrr

LCDs are usually 45% more efficient then CRTs. OLEDs are better but dont expect good quality right away or a long service life for that matter.

I read the bigger the LCD size, the less effiecient it becomes vs CRTs and in some cases LCDs 50"+ consumes more power then CRTs of the same size.

SED Tv's will be out soon and all these power hog plasma and lcd tv's will be on the way out anyhow.

SED would have been a viable technology if it came out three years ago. As of now, it's a dead technology with little to no chance of ever making it to market. SED is the poster child for hyped technologies with little practical value - there still isn't an effective and efficient way to manufature the displays.

Back