• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgraded to SLI but 3DMark06 only went from 8958 to 9777. Is that normal?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Revivalist

Upgraded to SLI but 3DMark06 only went from 8958 to 9777. . . . Is that normal?

When I ran a single 8800GTS 640MB I scored 8958 in 3DMark06. When I put a second one in SLI I scored 9777. Is that a normal score increase for changing to SLI?

I'm wondering how I can make sure that SLI is enabled properly? I enabled it in the BIOS and changed the PCI-E bandwidth from 2-1-1-16 for a single card to 8-4-NC-8 for two cards. I installed the latest Nvidia Driver v163.75. I also enabled SLI in the nTune utility.

Here's what I see in the details page of 3DMark06 . . .

3DMark06Details.jpg

Is there a reason that it says "Linked Display Adaptors: False"? . . . Does that mean that it is not running in SLI? I installed the patch for the 1.1.0 patch but that didn't change anything. Any ideas?

Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Ok, I see what you guys mean . . .

I heard 3DMark03 is more GPU intensive. So I tried running it in single card mode and in SLI. I got 30,436 in single card mode and 42,368 in SLI. So I can tell that SLI is running. I guess it's just not helping much in 3DMark06.

Thanks for your help!

tbh... no ull be bottlenecked with a E6750 @ 3.6ghz with 2 8800gts 640's for sure.

its about at that point where a single 8800gts 640 stops becomming bottlenecked. with a C2D
What I would like to know is how someone is able to prove that the GPU or CPU is the bottleneck in a given system. In fact, can anyone explain how the CPU and GPU work together in a benchmark such that one could bottleneck the other? . . .

I mean, the video calculations are done in the GPU, so what exactly is the CPU doing that would increase or decrease that performance? I hope someone could offer some concrete insight on this. . . .

Where do you get this from ?

3dmark 06 uses all four cores, so a quad is truly needed for highest scores. But as we all know, it dosn't translate into games generally.

as for the post above. The cpu needs to process the information before passing it onto the GPU. If the CPU can supply more data than the GPU can process at any given moment, then the cpu is not a bottleneck. What you have atm is the GPU's waiting on the CPU to send it instructions on what to do next. On top of that, the CPU has the run the rest of the gaming enviroment, like physics etc. in 3dmark06 there are physics and other things involved. It a whole system test not just GPU.

If i remember correctly, if the cpu is the limiting factor, changing to a low resolution will give approximatly the same framerate as higher resolutions. (lower resolutions (800x600) stress the cpu a lot). basically you fps should scale with your res. if the cpu is the limit, then it won't.

Last edited:
3dmark 06 uses all four cores, so a quad is truly needed for highest scores. But as we all know, it dosn't translate into games generally.

as for the post above. The cpu needs to process the information before passing it onto the GPU. If the CPU can supply more data than the GPU can process at any given moment, then the cpu is not a bottleneck. What you have atm is the GPU's waiting on the CPU to send it instructions on what to do next. On top of that, the CPU has the run the rest of the gaming enviroment, like physics etc. in 3dmark06 there are physics and other things involved. It a whole system test not just GPU.

If i remember correctly, if the cpu is the limiting factor, changing to a low resolution will give approximatly the same framerate as higher resolutions. (lower resolutions (800x600) stress the cpu a lot). basically you fps should scale with your res. if the cpu is the limit, then it won't.

couldnt say it better myself.

For an example of your CPU bottlenecking your system, I got 12572 in 3dmark06 with 1 8800GT and a [email protected].

What I would like to know is how someone is able to prove that the GPU or CPU is the bottleneck in a given system. In fact, can anyone explain how the CPU and GPU work together in a benchmark such that one could bottleneck the other? . . .
In 3dmark 06 you also get separate score's so you can see how low your weak link is. What was your CPU score? What were your shader scores?

I sorta thought that the lower score between the GPU and the shader scores indicated which was weaker as well, so for me my CPU is still the slower part because both shader scores are higher then my CPU score. But this is just supposition on the logical link between the scores.

Is there a reason that it says "Linked Display Adaptors: False"? . . . Does that mean that it is not running in SLI? I installed the patch for the 1.1.0 patch but that didn't change anything. A
Newer drivers might get this to report correctly.

Last edited:
simply overclocking your opty 185 will dramatically increase your score. However, if you want maximium frame rates, you will need to get a better cpu. (and along with that a new mobo and ram.)

Thanks for the input, guys . . . That makes a lot of sense. I'm gonna see what I can pull out of this chip. I bought it from a friend who said he got 3.0GHz out of it on air. But I can't seem to break 2.7GHz! . . . When I have more time I'll put it under the water-cooled/TEC setup shown in my sig.

[offtopic]
What's up revivalist, I didn't realize you came here too. How's the truck?
[/offtopic]
What's up! . . . I think my truck is just about in its "finishing stages" Here's how it still sits. . .

Driveway03.jpg

In a few weeks, I'll work on putting a traction bar and roll cage. :)

oooo nice taco! sas'd nice! what kinda axles u runnin?
Lol! This is funny -- truck tech on a computer forum. :) . . . Well, I guess I'm not steeling anyone's thread, so here it is . . . the specs on my Taco are as follows. . .

-- Drivetrain
• PreRunner converted to 4x4
• 64" Diamond front axle (with ball gussets, Longfield 30-spline Chromoly Super Set, high-pinion differential, ARP Hub Studs, Longfield Chromo hub gears, rock rings, backing-plate eliminator)
• Ultimate Crawler dual transfer cases (with chromoly output shaft)
• 5.29 R&P gears
• Front & rear e-lockers

-- Steering
• Hi-steer crossover steering
• 1 Ton Rod Ends
• 6-stud knuckles and steering arms
• OTT dropped pitman arm (machined for 1Ton Ends)
• Hydraulic Ram Assisted Steering Kit
• Power steering cooler

-- Suspension
• 3" front & 5” rear springs
• Bilstein 5150 shocks
• Fox airbumps
• Custom anti-swaybar w/ quick disconnects

-- Wheels
• 40"x13.5” Iroks
• 17" beadlocked rims

-- Performance
• Volant intake
• Poweraid TBS
• Magnaflow exhaust
• Flex-a-Lite radiator fan
• Odyssey 1250 battery

-- Armor
• ARB bumper
• Rock sliders
• Rear custom wrap-around bumper w/ spare tire mount
• Warn M8000 winch

-- Electronics
• Alpine stereo
• 5x7" Polk speakers
• Jensen 600W amp
• Uniden CB radio
• Bel-X65 Radar detector

-- Miscellaneous
• Inclinometer from Hilux
• Short chrome antenna
• Billet grill
• Truxedo Lo Pro tonnaeu cover
• Tailgate lock
• Spray-on bed liner
• Bed extender
• Jesus decal (of course!)

More pics if you're interested: http://s79.photobucket.com/albums/j...1-Truck pics/06-40in Iroks on 17in beadlocks/

Back